Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Asparagus is one of those vegetables that can be enjoyed in so many ways. You can have it raw, boiled, or grilled. But my favorite way to eat asparagus is definitely roasted with cheese on top.
This Cheesy Asparagus Casserole recipe is a great way to enjoy this delicious vegetable in a creamy and flavorful dish. The combination of cheese, asparagus, and a delicious sauce make this casserole a great side dish or main course. The ingredients are simple and easy to find, and the preparation time is quick and easy.
The casserole comes out of the oven with a golden, cheesy top and a creamy center. The asparagus is perfectly cooked and has a great texture. The cheese adds a nice creamy flavor and the sauce is a perfect complement to the other ingredients. The casserole is rich and flavorful, and it pairs well with any main dish. I would definitely recommend this Cheesy Asparagus Casserole recipe to anyone looking for a delicious and simple side dish.
This casserole recipe is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite spring vegetable and get your comfort food fixed all at the same time!
Why do I love Cheesy Asparagus Casserole?
Well, this asparagus casserole dish is a perfect combination of flavor and texture. The asparagus is lightly cooked so that it retains its bright green color but still has a pleasant crunch.
And then there’s the cheese—our favorite part! Melty, gooey cheese adds just the right amount of creaminess and savoriness to the asparagus. Plus, all of these flavors are baked together in one delicious casserole!
Is Asparagus Better Thick Or Thin?
Really, there are no wrong answers here! Thick and thin asparagus would both work well in this recipe. The thinner the asparagus is, the quicker it will cook; that is why thin asparagus is often used in stir-fries.
Can I Use Different Cheeses?
Yes, absolutely! You can use any kind of cheese you like. Here are some of our favorites:
Cheesy Asparagus Casserole Tips
To make the perfect asparagus casserole, here are a few tips to get you started:
- Use fresh asparagus for the best results! Frozen asparagus will work as well, but it won’t have as much flavor or as great of a texture.
- Make sure to season your asparagus before baking! A bit of salt and pepper goes a long way in bringing out the flavor of the asparagus.
- Don’t skimp on the cheese – this recipe calls for 1-2 cups of shredded cheese, so be generous with it! The more cheese you use, the cheesier and yummier your casserole will be.
- Bake the asparagus casserole at a high temperature (400 degrees F) for about 12-15 minutes. This will ensure that the asparagus cooks through and the cheese gets nice and melty.
- Garlic powder
- Bunches of Asparagus with the woody bottoms trimmed
- Cream cheese softened
- Heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Chicken broth
- Pepper jack cheese shredded
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Bacon pieces
- Mozzarella cheese
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Step 3. Mix in the cream cheese, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth and well combined.
Step 4. Simmer until the mixture thickens.
Step 5. Stir the pepper jack and Parmesan cheeses into the mixture until melted.
Step 6. Layer the asparagus in a well-greased 9×13 baking dish, and top with the sauce.
Step 7. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and mozzarella cheese.
Step 8. Bake for 15 minutes.
Step 9. Remove and sprinkle with bacon before serving.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
- 2 Bunches Asparagus with the woody bottoms trimmed
- ½ C. Heavy whipping cream
- ½ oz. Cream cheese , softened
- ⅓ C. Parmesan cheese grated
- ⅛ C. Pepper jack cheese shredded
- ⅓ C. Bacon pieces
- ¼ C. Mozzarella cheese
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- ⅛ tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in the cream cheese, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth and well combined.
- Simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Stir the pepper jack and Parmesan cheeses into the mixture until melted.
- Layer the asparagus in a well greased 9×13 baking dish, and top with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove and sprinkle with bacon before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
THANKS FOR PINING!
Cheesy Asparagus Casserole Variations
One of the best things about asparagus casserole recipes is that you can customize them to suit your own tastes! Here are a few variations you can try:
- Replace the cheese with vegan cheese for a delicious dairy-free asparagus casserole.
- Add some breadcrumbs, herbs, and spices to give your asparagus casserole an extra kick of flavor.
- Mix in some cooked bacon or sausage for even more savory goodness!
- Top it all off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese before baking for an added layer of cheesy goodness!
- For a spicy twist on this asparagus casserole recipe, add some diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes!
No matter how you decide to make your asparagus casserole, one thing is certain – it’ll be delicious! Enjoy!
Can You Make It Ahead?
Yes, you can prepare the cheesy asparagus casserole in a baking dish. Then refrigerate until you are ready to bake. It will last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Refrigerate cooled leftover cheesy asparagus casserole for 2-3 days, covered. It makes fantastic leftovers and is ideal for meal prepping.
Place the baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees for 12–15 minutes or until it’s hot all the way through. You can also microwave it for 1-2 minutes or until it’s hot.
What To Serve With Asparagus Casserole
There are lots of things that go well with asparagus casserole. Consider trying some of these:
- Pork Chops
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
More Healthy Asparagus Recipes:
Blackened Shrimp and Asparagus – This is a complete meal!
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts – Stuffed with cheese and asparagus!
Parmesan Crusted Asparagus Fries – These are a tasty treat any time!
Ham and Asparagus Casserole – Creamy and filled with ham and asparagus!