Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Looking for a simple chicken and rice recipe? This Instant Pot chicken recipe features delicious tender chicken, flavorful rice and veggies. One bite and this will go on your weekly menu.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Delicious Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
If you love chicken and rice, you are going to love this recipe. This delicious Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe comes together in no time and is sure to take the “chicken again” argument off the table. This simple to make dish is a crowd favorite and you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
What to Serve with Chicken and Rice
Since this recipe can be a complete meal on its own, why not think about dessert. I mean come on, is it even dinner without dessert. Since your pressure cooker is doing all the heavy work, you can fill that free time making a delicious dessert your family will go crazy for.
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie Recipe – Pumpkin meringue pie has all the traditional flavors of pumpkin pie with even more pizzazz! You will find a delicious pumpkin pie filling topped with a luscious meringue.
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake – Moist, delicious lemon blueberry coffee cake is mindblowing good. The aroma of baking the lemon blueberry dessert will make you drool and wish that time could go faster.
- No Bake Oreo Pie with Chocolate Ganache Recipe – This no-bake oreo pie is out of this world amazing! Descendant, creamy, sweet, and a perfect dessert to end a meal with. You can never go wrong with an oreo pie recipe no bake because you don’t even have to heat the house.
How to Store Instant Pot Rice and Chicken
Once the rice and chicken have cooled, you will want to take the leftovers and move it to an airtight container. This will protect the chicken from excess moisture and the air which will spoil the chicken faster. The Instant Pot Rice and Chicken will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. After the 4 day mark, you run an increased risk of food poison. If you do not think you will finish the leftovers before 4 days, consider freezing it right away.
Can Chicken and Rice Be Frozen
The great thing about chicken and rice is that it makes a great freezer meal. After cooking the chicken and rice in the pressure cooker, have it for dinner that night and then freeze the leftovers. If you think you will not have enough to make a second full meal, simply double the recipe. Store the chicken and rice in freezer bags or in an airtight container. I prefer freezer bags because they lay flat and do not take up much space. In addition, I can write directly on the bags what is inside and when it was cooked. Also, when using airtight containers, that means the containers are no longer able to be used for other foods and that means I have to have more bowls that I would like.
How to Reheat Rice and Chicken
If you reheating this meal from the freezer, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed or reheating leftovers from the refrigerator, you can reheat it using a skillet on the stove or in the microwave. If you find that it tastes a little dry you can add a bit of butter, a little chicken stock or even a little water.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Brown rice
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Set the Instant Pot to the saute function, and add in the olive oil, chopped onions, and carrots. Continue to saute the vegetables for 3-5 minutes.
Add in the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, dijon mustard, and brown rice. Continue to saute for one minute longer.
Turn the Instant Pot off, and add in the chicken broth. Stir to combine well.
Add salt and pepper to taste to the chicken breasts, and place them on top of the other ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Close the lid, and set the release valve on the pot to sealing.
Use the manual setting on high for 20 minutes. Once finished, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 12 minutes before turning the release valve to venting to release any remaining pressure.
Remove the chicken, and chop it into pieces, then add it back into the pot along with the frozen peas.
Stir to combine everything well, and serve with freshly chopped parsley on top.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
If you love using your Instant Pot as much as I do, you will want to check out these other Instant Pot chicken recipes. All of them are delicious and easy to make. The perfect solution for when you buy bulk chicken and want new ways to use it.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is the easiest, most flavorful chicken noodle soup you’ll ever make! With this chicken noodle soup Instant Pot recipe, there’s no need to wait hours for a savory soup.
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings – These succulent Instant Pot garlic parmesan chicken wings are finger-licking good! Juicy, tender garlic parmesan wings are super easy to make too!
Instant Pot Mississippi Ranch Chicken – Instant Pot Mississippi Ranch Chicken is tender, juicy and so full of flavor! It’s the best 10-minute dinner you’ll ever make! Mississippi Chicken will win over anyone after one bite.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 3 Cloves minced garlic
- 4 Medium carrots chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ C. Brown rice, do not use instant rice
- 1 ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ C. Chicken broth
- 1 C. Frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute function, and add in the olive oil, chopped onions and carrots. Continue to saute the vegetables for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, dijon mustard and brown rice. Continue to saute for one minute longer.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, and add in the chicken broth. Stir to combine well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to the chicken breasts, and place them on top of the other ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, and set the release valve on the pot to sealing.
- Use the manual setting on high for 20 minutes. Once finished, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 12 minutes before turning the release valve to venting to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken, and chop it into pieces, then add it back into the pot along with the frozen peas. Stir to combine everything well, and serve with freshly chopped parsley on top.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂