If you’ve been looking for a sinfully delicious dessert, you have to try this Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe With Chocolate Chips! Lucious white cake with layers of sweetened Mascarpone cheese frosting and topped with a creamy chocolate ganache is a dream come true. If you love cannolis, then you are going to be amazed by this incredible cake.
Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
Not going lie, cannolis have been a passion of mine pretty much as long as I can remember. If you’ve never had a cannoli, then this cake will get you close to the real thing. Cannolis are an Italian dessert that is impressive with a fried pastry dough that has been stuffed with a sweetened cheese filling and chocolate. It’s impossible not to drool imagining eating one right now.
I took the best of both worlds and combined a fluffy cake with all the traditional flavors of a cannoli. You can’t get any better than this fantastic collaboration of wonderful flavors. Take one to a barbecue or a friend’s house that’s been feeling under the weather, and you can expect they are going to gobble up every last morsel. This cake will even be perfect if you want a unique birthday cake for someone.
Can I Use Ready-Made Icing Instead of Homemade?
Yes, you can use a read-made icing instead of the homemade cannoli icing if you’d rather. I will warn you that I’ve never found a store-bought icing that has the magnitude of flavor and texture that this homemade frosting does. Just know that it’s more than fine to use an already prepared frosting, but it isn’t going to taste the same.
What is in Cannoli Filling?
You guys, this cannoli filling is out of this world and only takes 4 ingredients to make. It’s the perfect combination of mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and mini chocolate chips. It’s incredibly easy to mix together too, so you don’t have to spend hours making it.
Does Cannoli Cake Have to Be Refrigerated?
Yes, due to the ingredients in the frosting, you for sure need to refrigerate this easy cannoli cake. When you chill the cake, make sure it’s kept in an airtight container. It will last anywhere from 2-3 days in the fridge. It’s important to keep it away from heat like the sun or the stove. And never let the cannoli cake sit out longer than 1-2 hours, so it doesn’t spoil. If you are taking the cake to a potluck or dinner, it’s best to keep it on ice to keep it cool.
Cannoli Cake ingredients:
- French vanilla cake mix – You’ll need two boxes of cake mix.
- Large eggs
- Whole milk
- Unsalted sweet cream butter – Make sure the butter is softened before you begin.
- 3 9inch round cake boards
- 3 10inch round cake boards
Cannoli Frosting :
- Mascarpone Cheese – For best results, use softened cheese.
- Powder sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Medium ice cream scoop
- Large piping bag with a star tip
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate Chip Cannoli’s Cut in half – Hit up your local bakery and get 6 fresh cannoli to use as a garnish on the cannoli cake.
How to Make a Layered Cannoli Cake
Don’t let the steps scare you; this cake is incredibly easy to make, assemble, and decorate! Take a peek at these easy to follow directions.
First Step: Spray the cake pans with a non-stick cooking spray and warm the oven to 350 degrees F. Set aside for later.
Second Step: Combine the cake mix, eggs, milk, and sweet creamed butter using a stand mixer until mixed well.
Third Step: Pour the cannoli cake batter in the three cake pans evenly.
Fourth Step: Bake the cannoli cake layers for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown, set in the center, and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
Fifth Step: Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool all the way.
Sixth Step: Prepare the mascarpone frosting by beating the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until creamy.
Seventh Step: Add 1 cup of the mascarpone icing into the piping bag.
Building the cake:
First Step: Take the cakes out of the cake pans and place them onto the cake boards.
Second Step: Level the tops of each layer of cake so that they are flat and the dome is gone. It’s best to use a cake leveler for the best results.
Third Step: Spread 1 cup of the mascarpone frosting on one layer of cake and spread it, so it’s even.
Fourth Step: Add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips on the cake layer.
Fifth Step: Repeat the steps for the second layer of cake.
Sixth Step: Add the third cake layer on top and frost the whole cake.
Seventh Step: Place the remaining chocolate chips on the cake, making sure to coat the entire sides of the cake.
Eighth Step: Refrigerate to let the frosting set.
First Step: Pour the heavy whipping cream into a small pot and let it boil.
Second Step: Place the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling heavy whipping cream on top. Let sit for a few minutes, then whisk until it’s smooth and creamy.
Third Step: Pour the chocolate ganache into a squeeze bottle and drizzle over the sides of the cake.
Fourth Step: Add dollops of frosting on top of the cake, sprinkle with chocolate chips, and add the cannoli on top. Cut, serve, and devour!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
If you’ve been looking for a sinfully delicious dessert, you have to try this Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe With Chocolate Chips! Lucious white cake with layers of sweetened Mascarpone cheese frosting and topped with a creamy chocolate ganache is a dream come true.
Cannoli Cake ingredients:
- 2 box of french vanilla cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 C whole milk
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3 9inch round cake boards
- 3 10inch round cake board
- 4 C Mascarpone Cheese, softened
- 5 C powder sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 C mini chocolate chips
- 1 medium ice cream scoop
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C heavy whipping cream
- 6 Chocolate Chip Cannoli’s Cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside
- Using a standing mixer or hand beater, beat until combined all cake ingredients
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- Allow to cool completely
- Mascarpone Cheese Frosting:
- Using a standing mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and
- vanilla extract together until combined.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
Building the cake:
- Remove cakes from cake pans and place onto cake boards
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes to make even layers
- Using one of the layers, scoop about 1 C of frosting onto the top of the layer and spread evenly
- Sprinkle ¼ C of mini chocolate chips
- Place the second layer on top and repeat the previous steps
- Place the last layer on top and frost entire cake
- Using the remaining mini chocolate chips, coat entire sides of the cake
- Place into the fridge to set
- Heat the heavy whipping cream in a small pot until starts to boil
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl
- Allow to sit for a few minutes
- Whisk until smooth
- Pour into a squeeze bottle
- Drizzle the ganache over the sides of the cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake
- Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips onto the top of the cake and dollops of frosting
- Place cannolis onto the dollops
- Cut and serve
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: american
If you’re in love with this cannoli layered cake, you should try some of my other delectable dessert ideas:
- Best Classic Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe – You only need 7 ingredients to make this excellent cheesecake. Everyone will go wild for it.
- Texas Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe – This delicious cake is screaming your name. It’s a must-try!
- Best Easy Italian Cream Cake Recipe – If you love Italian desserts, you need to taste this amazing and moist cake.
- Instant Pot White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake – This cake has everything! Sweetness, fruit, chocolate, and it’s rich and flavorful.