Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
If you dream of pumpkin season then you are going to love these cupcakes. Sweet pumpkin mocha cupcakes are the best cupcakes for fall. These pumpkin cupcakes are chocolate mocha cupcakes with pumpkin frosting.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
You Need This Pumpkin Mocha Cupcake Recipe
I love pumpkin and chocolate. I think the flavors are perfect together. When the espresso coffee gets added, these are rich delicious cupcakes that are impossible to resist.
Can I Make this a Pumpkin Mocha Cake Recipe?
Some of my favorite cake recipes are really cupcake recipes that I decided to make into a cake. Most times the other thing that changes in a cupcake recipe turned cake recipe is the amount of bake time. To make this a pumpkin mocha cake, you will make the cupcake batter the way it is written up until it is time to put it in the cupcake tins. When you are done the batter, before pouring the cake batter into the pans, you need to prepare the pans. Grease and lightly flour the pans to prevent the cake from sticking. If you are making this a 9*13 pan, you will change the bake time to about 30 minutes. If you are using round pans, you will make 2 cakes, so this will be a layer cake. In 8 inch round pans, the bake time will be about 35-40 minutes and 9 inch pans will bake for about 30-35 minutes. Cakes are done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Use the frosting recipe for these cupcakes and frost the cake. If you are making round cakes, spread a layer of icing in between the cake layers.
How Long Do Pumpkin Cupcakes Last?
When you store pumpkin cupcakes at room temperature, they will usually last about 3 to 4 days if they are stored properly. When storing the cupcakes, it is important to make sure the cupcakes are covered. If the cupcakes are exposed to air, they will spoil faster. If you will not finish your pumpkin cupcakes before they spoil, consider storing the leftovers in the freezer.
Can I Freeze Cupcakes
Freezing cupcake is a great way to store cupcakes that will go stale before you can eat them all. It is also a great way to have your favorite cupcakes on hand when the cravings hit. To freeze cupcakes that are already frosted, place them on a cookie sheet. Once the cupcakes are frozen, you can put the cupcakes in an airtight container or freezer bag. This will prevent the icing from sticking to the plastic. When you are ready to thaw the cupcakes, remove them from the plastic wrap or container so the icing does not stick once it is thawed. Cupcakes can thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Tips for How to Frost Cupcakes
When it is time to frost the cupcakes, you can either smear the frosting on the cupcakes or you can frost them bakery style. Bakery style cupcakes are the cupcakes that have the decorative swirl on top. To get the look to the cupcakes, you will need a pastry bag and a star tip. To frost the cupcakes put the pumpkin icing in the pastry bag. Then you will simply squeeze the icing out of the bag through the tip.
Another option when you are frosting cupcakes it to use a plastic freezer bag if you do not have a piping bag. After filling the bag, push the icing into one corner and clip the tip of the bag. This will make an opening for the icing to come out. With this method, you will want to squeeze while turning the cupcake in order to get the pretty frosting design on the cupcakes.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes Recipe
- baking soda
- instant espresso powder
- cocoa powder
- unsalted sweet cream butter
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice
- canned pumpkin puree
- powdered sugar
- large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- chocolate curls
How to Make Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pie spice and salt until combined
Using a small bowl, combine the water, espresso powder, cocoa, and whisk until combined
Using a standing mixer, cream together the sugar and butter
Beat in the eggs, oil and vanilla until combined
Alternating between the espresso mixture and flour mixture, gradually mix in both until combined
Scoop batter into cupcake liners filling about 3/4 full
Bake in the oven for 21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely on the counter before frosting
Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and shortening until smooth
Mix in the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin spice
Gradually mix in the powdered sugar until combined
Continue to mix until smooth and creamy
Scoop into piping bag and frost the cupcakes
Sprinkle some chocolate curls onto the frosting
More Cake Recipes
- White Chocolate Coconut Pecan Cupcakes – With these white chocolate coconut pecan cupcakes, you get a whole lot of flavor in one little cupcake wrapper. You’ve definitely never had cupcakes like these before!
- Pumpkin Caramel Latte Cupcake – These pumpkin caramel latte cupcakes combine two of fall’s most popular flavors and taste phenomenal. You will be in food heaven when you bite into the moist cupcakes and taste the cinnamon frosting and caramel drizzle.
- Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake – This Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake is a sweet but tart cake with delicious cherry frosting and a splash of Dr. Pepper flavor. It’s a hit with kids and adults alike and, bonus; it’s so easy to make!
- Cherry Almond Bundt Cake – This Cherry Almond Bundt Cake is a light and delicious dessert cake, full of flavor and topped with sweet and tasty cream cheese glaze.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Pumpkin Mocha Cupcake
- 1 C flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 C hot water
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin Spice frosting:
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 C shortening
- 1 C canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 5 C powdered sugar
- 1 large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 1 container of chocolate curls
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pie spice and salt until combined
- Using a small bowl, combine the water, espresso powder, cocoa, and whisk until combined
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the sugar and butter
- Beat in the eggs, oil and vanilla until combined
- Alternating between the espresso mixture and flour mixture, gradually mix in both until combined
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners filling about 3/4 full
- Bake in the oven for 21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely on the counter before frosting
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and shortening until smooth
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin spice
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar until combined
- Continue to mix until smooth and creamy
- Scoop into piping bag and frost the cupcakes
- Sprinkle some chocolate curls onto the frosting
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Now, time to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂