One of my favorite restaurants in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio is Schmidt’s Sausage Haus. Every time we make it back to Columbus Schmidt’s is always one place that we have to stop.
They have been serving traditional German-American food since 1967, making it a landmark eatery in Central Ohio. When Andrew was attending medical school we lived in German Village and Schmidt’s was only a five-minute walk away. We would walk down there at least once a week and have dinner. During football season we would buy their bratwurst and a few of their appetizers and bring them tailgating. Everything on their menu is absolutely incredible, but one of my favorites is the sauerkraut balls. Football season just isn’t the same without having sauerkraut balls at our tailgate.
This past college football season I went on a hunt to try to recreate those delicious sauerkraut balls in my own kitchen. These deep-fried, savory little sausage sauerkraut balls were a hit! Serve warm with some Dijon mustard for a finger food that will have everyone coming back for seconds!
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, fry pork sausage and onion until sausage is evenly brown and onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Crumble sausage mixture into a large bowl and add drained sauerkraut, mustard, garlic salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Combine cream cheese and parsley, and mix into sauerkraut mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Shape sauerkraut mixture into 3/4 inch balls.
- Place flour in a shallow dish.
- In a second shallow dish, place egg.
- In a third shallow dish, remaining bread crumbs.
- Dip each sauerkraut ball first into the flour, then the egg and roll in bread crumbs. Deep fry in batches for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Source: adapted from Allrecipes.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 32 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 2gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 3g