Southeast Asian Fried Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Delicious fried rice loaded with chicken, red bell peppers, broccoli and a fiery Indonesian style sauce. The secret sauce is Sambal Oelek, an Indonesian style spicy sauce made from crushed chili. It gives this fried rice just enough kick, but not overpowering.
If you are looking for a satisfying and light meal, look no further!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Southeast Asian Fried Rice
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice, makes 2 1/2 cups cooked
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek, ground fresh chile paste, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup vertically sliced shallots
- 2 7-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Cooking spray
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 4 lime wedges
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- In a separate small prep bowl, combine eggs and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek.
- Separate green tops from green onions, and diagonally chop; set aside. Cut green onion bottoms into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan, swirling to coat evenly. Add rice; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer rice mixture to a large bowl. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add shallots to pan; stir-fry 30 seconds or until tender. Add chicken; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add brown sugar mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute or until liquid thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Add chicken mixture to rice mixture.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel; return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add broccoli and bell pepper; stir-fry 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, green onion bottoms, and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chicken mixture to pan, cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated; return chicken mixture to large bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add egg mixture to pan, swirling to coat pan; cook 30 seconds or just until egg is set. Stir egg and bacon into rice mixture. Top with green onion tops; garnish with lime wedges.