Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies

Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies with a delicious rum spiked creme filling that tastes just like the Oreos filling. These cookies are a spin on the classic Oreo cookies, only ten times better! I love cooking with malted milk powder, it always reminds me of the Whoppers candy. Mmmm! A few months ago I made some awesome blondies with the milk powder and have been looking for yummy recipes ever since! :) This recipe comes from the awesome Baked Explorations cookbook. I can’t believe it took me so long to get my hands on this one! I love the first Baked Cookbook, it is one of my absolute favorites. I am excited to try some more recipes from this awesome cookbook!
Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies

For the Cookies:
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup malted milk powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Creme Filling:

• 5 ounces vegetable shortening, at room temperature
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, at room temperature
  • 3 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon light rum

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, malt, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Add half of the dry ingredients and beat for 15 seconds. Scrape down the bowl, then add the remaining dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated.
  3. Divide the dough into two balls and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Divide each dough ball in half, to make four portions. Place one portion on a lightly floured work surface and return the other three portions to the refrigerator.
  6. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookies cutter, cut out cookies and transfer them to the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch of space around each cookie. Re-roll extra dough scraps.
  7. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
  8. To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the shortening and butter until smooth. Add the sugar in three parts, mixing after each addition. Add the salt, vanilla and rum, beat for 10 seconds. The filling should be thick but spreadable. (like the inside of an Oreo)
  9. To assemble the cookies, shape cream filling into 2 tablespoon sized balls. Place cream filling ball into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Source: Baked Explorations

25 Responses to “Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies”

simplynutritiouskate — March 13, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

i’ve never tried malted milk before but these cookies look so pretty and delicious !

Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide — March 13, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

You had me at delicious rum spiked creme filling.

Happy When Not Hungry — March 13, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Wow these cookies look delicious! The malted powder in them sounds amazing!

shabs — March 13, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

These cookies look delicious , HAVE to try it :).

Baking Serendipity — March 13, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Malt was always my favorite addition to milkshakes when I was a kid. In sandwich cookies? Even better :) These look awesome!

muppy — March 13, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

these look delicious, like the rum in the filling! i don’t think i have ever cooked with malted milk powder…..

Jenny — March 13, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Never tasted malted milk, those cookies look amazing

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 13, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

I love Oreo filling so I’m pretty sure I’d love this cookie!

katshealthcorner — March 13, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Those look just like Oreos gone Blonde! ;) YUM! I want to eat one of those crumbled on top of my oats in the morning! :D

xoxox
    Kathleen

Alexis AKA MOM — March 13, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

These look and sound amazing! I’ve saved it for the next get together :)

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking? — March 14, 2011 @ 12:41 am

man, these look so so so good! Totally look like oreo cookies. I can’t imagine how long it must have taken to make these. How do you find the time to bake all these goodies, you are so talented!!! :-) I wish I was able to decorate that well.

Sara — March 14, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I love that malted flavor, so I’ll give these a try! Who doesn’t like a sandwich cookie: two cookies for the price of one!

Chris Scheuer — March 14, 2011 @ 6:19 am

I love your blog!! Malted milk is one of my favorite flavors, thanks for this awesome looking recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

tryityoumightlikeit — March 14, 2011 @ 11:23 am

I’m adding malted milk powder to my grocery list for next week. These cookies look amazing…. what am I saying…. of course they do, they’re from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen.
    I have been able to recognize your photos instantly on foodgawker and Tastespotting lately even before I read one of your posts. I am in awe of your photos!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — March 14, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I’m with you on malted milk powder – it’s amazing the flavor it can add to things. I’m excited to have another recipe that uses it now. Thanks for sharing it!

Medifast Coupon Code 2011 — March 14, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

These malted milk sandwich cookies look great. Can’t wait to try these, thanks for posting the recipe.

Livin' in the Kitchen — March 14, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

These look awesome! Malted milk? I’ve actually never heard of that.

Lucie — March 16, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Not only does the malted milk powder in these make me want to dive across my screen, your pictures are incredible!

anna — March 17, 2011 @ 12:19 am

These sound DELICIOUS. Mmmm, malted milk!

20. Pingback: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Tanvi — April 9, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Hi Christina,
    These cookies look great.I love the buttercream that you have made.
    I have a Q – will these become soggy after storing for 1-2 days as is common with homemade sandwich cookies? Do you have any tips to prevent that?
    Thanks in advance.

• Christina replied: — April 9th, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

These cookies are keep very well in a air tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. I did not have any trouble with them getting soggy. They were just as great on day 1 as they were on day 3.

Kai — April 22, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

I finally found malted milk powder and made these cookies for my coworkers. HUGE hit! Incredible and I made extras. Love your blog.

23. Pingback: Roasted Strawberry Sandwich Cookies Recipe: Gluten Free, Paleo & Vegan — Family Fresh Cooking

24. Pingback: “Real” Irish Scones | Sweet Pea's Kitchen