Calico Bean Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Prep time: 15 minutes – Cook time: 1 hour – Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes – Servings: 6
Have you tried a dish as special as the Calico Bean Casserole? If you’re a fan of Antioquia dishes, you will be interested to know how this special recipe is prepared. It reveals the culture of a very beautiful region and allows you to discover new flavors.
Very good main dish recipe idea! Delish! The Calico Bean Casserole recipe is a very popular dish in Latin America, especially because it has a unique flavor that delights even the most exquisite palate. Have you ever dared to combine bacon, meat, and beans? If not, this will be your perfect opportunity.
You can also use a Slow Cooker! Best Calico Bean Casserole recipe! When it comes to cooking, the most important thing is to know how to perform each of the steps perfectly. And when all the ingredients are at their perfect point, it makes Calico Bean Casserole spectacular.
You cannot miss the incredible combination of wine vinegar with mustard. Moreover, do you dare to try it with a little bit of brown sugar? Prepare your senses to recognize all the different flavors and be impressed by something totally new.
Tips to Make the Best Calico Bean Casserole
Tip 1. Beans should be as fresh as possible. If possible, to soften, cover them completely with water for a whole day before cooking.
Tip 2. You can use the type of vinegar you want. But the most ideal is white wine vinegar as it adds a unique flavor to the ingredients.
Tip 3. Don’t be afraid of celery. In these types of recipes, that peculiar flavor that gives it the magic touch is given by celery.
Tip 4. The brown sugar should be creamy and compact. Don’t use an old or dry one because it will change the texture of the recipe.
Tip 5. Do not exceed the indicated oven temperature because you could overcook the plate.
Ingredients for Calico Bean Casserole:
½ cup bacon, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
(1) (15 oz) can pork and beans
(1) (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
(1) (15 oz) can butter beans
(1) (15 oz) can lima beans, drained
½ cup ketchup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp mustard powder
½ cup chopped celery
What do you need to make Calico Bean Casserole:
How to make Calico Bean Casserole:
Step 1. Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees F (175 C).
Step 2. In a large, wide skillet, add the bacon and ground beef. Stir constantly and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown. Once ready, remove from heat and reserve.
Step 3. In a four-quart casserole plate, add the following ingredients bit by bit: onion, vinegar, dry mustard, celery, bacon, ground beef, pork and beans, kidney beans, and lima beans.
Step 4: If you wish, you can mix all the ingredients or place the casserole in the oven with the ingredients still loose. Cook for an hour.
Step 5: Take out of the oven and serve in a deep dish or in one of your preferences.
Step 6. Your Calico Bean Casserole is ready to enjoy!
If you loved our Calico Bean Casserole recipe, you will also love our other recipes! Follow us on Pinterest, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Calico Bean Casserole
- ½ cup bacon, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15 oz) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can butter beans
- 1 (15 oz) can lima beans, drained
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ cup chopped celery
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat the oven to a temperature between 350 ° F / 175 ° C.
- In a large, wide skillet, add the bacon and ground beef. Stir constantly and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown. Once ready, remove from heat and reserve.
- In a four-quart casserole plate, add the following ingredients bit by bit: onion, vinegar, dry mustard, celery, bacon, ground beef, pork and beans, kidney beans and lima beans.
- If you wish, you can mix all the ingredients or place the casserole in the oven with the ingredients still loose. Cook for an hour.
- Take out of the oven and serve in a deep dish or in one of your preference.
- Your Calico Bean Casserole is ready to enjoy!
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Check some of my best recipes below:
Best Christmas Morning Casserole