Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
I’m not sure about you, but I get a little bored with the same old chicken dishes. Don’t get me wrong, I love my chicken breast and grilled chicken recipes, but sometimes I want something new.
That’s where this amazing Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry comes in! Not only is it incredibly delicious, but it’s also super healthy and easy to make.
So don’t wait any longer, grab your ingredients and start cooking! You won’t regret it!
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Why do I love Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry?
Well, for one, it’s a delicious way to get my fix of both chicken and veggies. But beyond that, this dish is also healthy, easy to make, and can be tailored to suit anyone’s taste.
Whether you like your stir fry sweet, spicy, or savory, there’s a way to make Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry that will satisfy your craving. And best of all, this dish comes together in just minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Do you need to wash cabbage?
You should remove the cabbage leaves from the outside layer. That is where a lot of dirt, and possibly bugs, like to hide. After you remove those leaves, rinse them under some cool water and dry them with a paper towel, or let them air dry until you are ready to slice.
How do you cut cabbage for stir fry?
Cutting the cabbage for the stir fry makes all the difference in the texture and flavor of the dish.
- Start by cutting off the stem.
- Then slice the head of the cabbage in half.
- Place the cut side of the cabbage against the cutting board and cut in half again.
- Start making small slices so that you have thin strips.
Can I use different meat?
Sure! You can use shredded beef, ground beef, shredded pork, chopped pork, or any other kind of meat you like. Just make sure either use pre-cooked meat or you cook it before you begin, then follow the cooking directions.
Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry Tips
- Start with a hot pan: This will help to ensure that your chicken and veggies cook evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: If you add too much food at once, it will steam instead of stir fry. So make sure to give everything plenty of space to cook properly.
- Use fresh ingredients: This is key for both flavor and texture. The fresh chicken will be more tender and juicy, while fresh veggies will have more crunch.
- Know when to stop cooking: Stir fry is best when the chicken is cooked through but still juicy, and the veggies are crisp but not overcooked. Keep an eye on your food and remove it from the pan as soon as it’s done.
- Serve immediately: Stir fry is best served hot and fresh out of the pan. So don’t wait too long to dig in!
What do you serve with chicken and cabbage stir fry?
- Any variety of rice would work! Including cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with green onions, parsley, or oregano for a subtle flavor.
- Egg drop soup is a popular dish that goes well with this stir fry.
- Shredded chicken
- Olive oil
- Red bell pepper
- Garam Masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry:
Step 1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 2. Add the onion to the skillet and saute until just starting to soften.
Step 3. Place the bell pepper and jalapeno into the skillet, and saute until the bell pepper is becoming tender.
Step 4. Add the chicken and cabbage to the skillet, tossing to mix well.
Step 5. Cook until the cabbage has begun to soften.
Step 6. Sprinkle the garam masala over the mixture as well as salt and pepper to taste.
Stir to combine, and continue to cook covered over medium heat until the cabbage is tender, and cooked to your liking.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 4 C. Shredded chicken
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 C. Onion chopped
- 1 Medium cabbage chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and saute until just starting to soften.
- Place the bell pepper and jalapeno into the skillet, and saute until the bell pepper is becoming tender.
- Add the chicken and cabbage to the skillet, tossing to mix well.
- Cook until the cabbage has begun to soften.
- Sprinkle the garam masala over the mixture as well as salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine, and continue to cook covered over medium heat until the cabbage is tender, and cooked to your liking.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
THANKS FOR PINING!
How do you store leftovers?
Let it cool after you cook it. Then put it into the refrigerator in a storage container for up to 4 days.
How do you reheat?
Place the leftovers in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil and warm over medium heat. Serve once it’s all the way hot. You may need to add a little bit of chicken broth if it is dried out.
Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry Variations
- Spicy stir fry: Add a teaspoon of chili paste or Sriracha sauce to the pan for a bit of heat.
- Sweet and sour stir fry: Add a tablespoon of sugar and a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to the pan for a sweet and sour flavor.
- Garlic stir fry: Add an extra clove or two of garlic to the pan for a more pronounced garlic flavor.
- Ginger stir fry: Add a teaspoon of grated ginger to the pan for a zesty, fresh flavor.
- Veggie-packed stir fry: Add extra veggies like broccoli, bell peppers, or mushrooms to the pan for a nutrient-rich dish.
More Asian Dishes
Fried Rice with Shrimp – Simple and tasty!
One Pot Black Pepper Chicken – Great for a weeknight meal!
Instant Pot Cashew Chicken – Better than takeout!
Egg Roll Stir Fry – So delicious, you’ll beg for more!