Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Who needs a Chinese restaurant when you can make your own delicious fried rice at home? This recipe is easy to follow and produces a dish that is sure to please the whole family.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftovers. Serve hot and enjoy!
There are few things more delicious than a plate of Chinese chicken fried rice. This dish is packed with flavor, and it’s easy to make at home.
So, next time you’re in the mood for Chinese food, give this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!
It’s simple to make and can be tweaked to your liking and is sure to please both kids and adults alike. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover chicken or vegetables that you have on hand.
Now that you know how to make authentic and delicious Chinese Chicken Fried Rice, it’s time to get cooking!
Invite some friends over and enjoy a homemade meal together. If they ask for the recipe, be sure to give them this link so they can try it out too. And who knows, maybe one day your version of this dish will become somebody else’s favorite recipe.
Scroll to Bottom for Printable Recipe Card.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
Table of Contents
- Why do I love this recipe?
- What makes Chinese fried rice so delicious?
- Japanese fried rice VS Chinese fried rice
- What kind of rice is best for Chinese fried rice?
- Why add eggs to fried rice?
- How can I make my fried rice less wet and more fluffy?
- When it comes to frying rice, what is better: oil or butter?
- How to make Chinese Chicken Fried Rice:
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice storing instructions
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice freezing instructions
- Is it possible to make Chinese Chicken Fried Rice in advance?
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
- More Checken Recipes Ideas?
This recipe is my go-to when I need a quick and easy meal. It is packed with flavor and always hits the spot. I love that I can make it ahead of time and then just reheat it when I am ready to eat.
Why do I love this recipe?
- I love this recipe because it is so easy to make and it is so delicious. This dish is perfect for a quick meal or even a party.
- The best part about this dish is that it can be made ahead of time and then reheated when you are ready to eat.
- This recipe is my go-to when I need a quick and easy meal. It is packed with flavor and always hits the spot. I love that I can make it ahead of time and then just reheat it when I am ready to eat.
- This dish is perfect for busy weeknights or even entertaining guests. No matter what the occasion, this recipe will surely please everyone.
What makes Chinese fried rice so delicious?
When it comes to fried rice, the quality of the rice is key. Good fried rice should be made with Jasmine rice, which is a type of long-grain rice that originates from Thailand. Jasmine rice has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with savory ingredients like chicken and veggies.
Another important factor in making great fried rice is to use day-old rice. This is because fresh rice can be too moist and sticky, which will make your fried rice end up mushy. Day-old rice, on the other hand, is drier and easier to work with, so it’ll result in light and fluffy fried rice.
Japanese fried rice VS Chinese fried rice
There are many differences between Japanese and Chinese fried rice. For one, Japanese fried rice is typically cooked in a lighter oil, such as vegetable or canola oil, while Chinese fried rice is cooked in a heavier oil, such as peanut or sesame oil. This gives the Japanese version a lighter flavor and texture, while the Chinese version has a richer flavor and heartier texture.
Another difference is that Japanese fried rice is often seasoned with soy sauce, giving it a salty flavor, while Chinese fried rice is usually seasoned with oyster sauce, which gives it a sweeter taste. Finally, the vegetables used in each dish also differ; Japanese fried rice typically contains carrots, peas, and onions, while Chinese fried rice often contains cabbage
What kind of rice is best for Chinese fried rice?
There are many types of rice that can be used for Chinese fried rice, but the most commonly used type is jasmine rice. This type of rice is relatively easy to cook, and it has a light and fluffy texture that makes it perfect for absorbing all the delicious flavors of the dish. If you can’t find jasmine rice, you can also use basmati or long-grain rice.
Why add eggs to fried rice?
There are a few reasons why adding eggs to fried rice is a popular practice. For one, eggs can help to bind the ingredients together, making for a more cohesive dish. Additionally, eggs add protein and essential nutrients, making fried rice a more well-rounded meal. Finally, many people simply enjoy the taste of eggs in their fried rice! Whether you’re looking for a nutritional boost or just want something delicious, try adding some eggs to your next batch of fried rice.
How can I make my fried rice less wet and more fluffy?
There are a few reasons why your fried rice might be coming out mushy. It could be that you’re using too much liquid, or not enough heat. Additionally, over-stirring can also lead to mushiness.
Here are a few tips to avoid a mushy outcome:
- Use less liquid. When cooking the rice, be sure to use just enough water to cover the grains. Then, when adding the other ingredients, go light on the sauce or broth. A little goes a long way!
- Cook at high heat. This will help to evaporate any excess moisture and prevent the formation of clumps.
- Don’t over-stir! Stirring too much can break up the rice grains and lead to a mushy texture. Once everything is added to the pan, give it a gentle stir until everything is evenly mixed. Then let it cook undisturbed until finished.
When it comes to frying rice, what is better: oil or butter?
If you’re looking for the best way to fry rice, then you may be wondering if it’s better to use oil or butter. While both have their benefits, we believe that using oil is the best way to go. Here’s why:
- Oil can help to ensure that the rice doesn’t stick to the pan.
- It can also help to create a crispy texture on the outside of the rice.
- Oil is less likely to burn than butter, so it can help to prevent your rice from becoming charred.
- Finally, oil has a higher smoke point than butter, so it’s less likely to smoke up your kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Use good quality rice. I prefer basmati or jasmine rice for this dish, but any long-grain rice will work.
- Rinse the rice several times before cooking to remove any excess starch. This will help to prevent the rice from becoming sticky.
- Cook the rice in plenty of water. This will also help to prevent the rice from becoming sticky.
- Use a wok or large frying pan for this dish so that the ingredients can be spread out evenly and cooked quickly.
- Be sure to cook the chicken and vegetables before adding the rice. This will help to prevent the rice from becoming overcooked.
- Use a good quality soy sauce for this dish. I prefer to use Tamari soy sauce, but any good-quality soy sauce will work.
- Add some sesame oil to the dish for flavor and aroma.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Not all Chinese chicken fried rice is created equal. While the dish typically consists of rice, chicken, and vegetables, there are many variations that you can find. For example, some recipes call for the addition of soy sauce, while others include ginger or garlic. No matter what ingredients you choose to use, the key to making delicious Chinese chicken fried rice is to cook the rice properly.
One important tip is to make sure that the rice is not overcooked. Overcooked rice will result in a mushy dish that is unappetizing. Another helpful hint is to use cold-cooked rice when preparing Chinese chicken fried rice. This will help to keep the grains of rice separate and prevent them from sticking together.
- Olive Oil
- White rice
- Soy Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Breast
How to make Chinese Chicken Fried Rice:
Step 1. Beat the egg with water in a small bowl.
Step 2. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Step 3. Add egg to the skillet with butter and leave flat for 1 minute. Then flip to cook the other side for another minute.
Step 4. Remove the egg from the skillet and cut it into shreds.
Step 5. Add olive oil in the same skillet and add onion and sauté until soft.
Step 6. Add carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 7. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
Step 8. Add peas and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 9. Add rice, soy sauce, and pepper and mix.
Step 10. Stir fry together for about 5 minutes.
Step 11. Stir in egg and reserve some egg strips to serve on top of the rice.
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice storing instructions
- For best results, place this Chinese Chicken Fried Rice in an airtight container and refrigerate it for no more than 3 days.
- To reheat, take it out of the fridge and put it in a pan on medium heat until warm.
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice freezing instructions
Once the dish has cooled, place it in the freezer. Next, store in freezer-safe containers, ensuring there is ½-inch of space at the top. If you want to eat it the next day, leave it in the fridge overnight.
Is it possible to make Chinese Chicken Fried Rice in advance?
You can make Chinese Chicken Fried Rice ahead of time, but it will not be as crispy as if you made it fresh. To make it ahead of time, cook the rice and chicken according to the recipe. Once everything is cooked, allow it to cool completely before storing it in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat, reheat in a pan over medium heat until warmed through.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 cups White rice, Cooked, Cold
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, Cracked
- 1 cup Chicken Breast, Cubed
- ¼ cup Peas, Frozen
- ¼ cup Carrots, In small cubes
- Beat egg with water in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add egg to the skillet with butter and leave flat for 1 minute. Then flip to cook the other side for another minute.
- Remove the egg from the skillet and cut it into shreds.
- Add olive oil in the same skillet and add onion and sauté until soft.
- Add carrots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, soy sauce, and pepper and mix.
- Stir fry together for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in egg and reserve some egg strips to serve on top of the rice.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
More Checken Recipes Ideas?
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings – You’ll love this easy crockpot chicken recipe!
Chicken Carbonara Recipe – It’s always a crowd-pleaser.
Broccoli Chicken Divan – one of my all-time favorites!