Every bite of this fresh corn salad recipe is bursting with black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, tangy lime juice, and seasonings. It’s perfect for parties, barbecues, dinners, potlucks, and even an easy snack. It’s impossible not to get hooked the second the black bean, and corn salad recipe hits your tongue.
I was looking for a kid-friendly salad for a dinner party I was invited to. I was tasked with bringing a salad. It turned out that my delicious black bean corn salad was a hit will all my friends and their kids. It’s healthy, fresh, and packed full of flavor. I promise if you show up to any event with this easy summer salad recipe, you won’t be turned away and everyone will be begging to know what you put in it.
What Is Corn Salad?
If you haven’t tried Mexican corn salad yet, you have been missing out for too long! First of all, I need to explain what it is exactly. This isn’t your typical lettuce or arugula salad. It’s made with corn, beans, and other Mexican seasonings.
How To Make Black Bean Corn Salad?
This easy summer salad is a mouthwatering crowd-pleaser that happens to be effortless to make. As soon as you try it, you are going to want to add this to your weekly recipe rotation too. Take a look at these simple steps:
First Step: Add cherry tomatoes, corn, black beans, cilantro, and onion in a bowl. Set aside.
Second Step: Put EVOO, lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
Third Step: Toss all the ingredients into a large bowl. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow it to chill.
Fourth Step: Serve and enjoy! That is all you have to do!
Mexican Corn Salad Variations
One thing that drives me wild about summer salad recipes is that you can do so many things with them. This one is super versatile, and you can toss in all kinds of other ingredients. Here are my favorite ideas for you to try out:
- Jalapeno – Dice up one or two peppers and stir into the healthy summer salad. If you don’t want it to be too spicy, I recommend removing the seeds first. If you love heat, toss them in!
- Bacon – Cook some bacon until it’s crispy. Allow it to cool completely then crumble and add to the easy salad recipe. It adds some extra fantastic flavor.
- Avocado – Add some chopped avocado to the simple salad. It will make it creamy, delicious, and extra special.
- Feta Cheese – If you can’t get enough feta cheese, be sure to add it to this side salad. It’s so yummy!
- Cucumber – Add some extra nutrients with a cucumber. I like to dice up an English cucumber, and it’s perfect every time.
- Fresh Basil Leaves – Chop up fresh basil leaves right before serving for an extra special treat. Delicious!
What’s The Easiest Way To Cut Corn Off The Cob?
Freshly grilled corn is incredible in this recipe. I find it’s easier to cut the corn off the cob when you stand it up on its end. Then take a sharp knife and run it down on the corn kernels as they come off. Just keep repeating until all the corn is off the cob.
How To Grill Charred Corn
If grilling the corn is your preferred flavor like it is mine, then you should know how to grill it. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil along with salt and pepper to taste then toss directly on the grill. It only takes a few minutes to get it charred. If you aren’t comfortable placing the corn directly on the grill, you could wrap it in tin foil or leave it in the husk. It’s all up to preference. I like it directly on the grill because of that smoky flavor it gets.
Can I Use Canned Or Frozen Corn?
For best results, corn on the cob is my number one option. When you don’t have access to corn on the cob or if it’s not in season you can use canned or frozen. I have tried it both ways and for sure prefer frozen over canned. While canned works, keep in mind it isn’t going to be fresh, and it may taste a little bit different primarily if you use corn that has been salted already. Frozen has a nice texture and works perfectly in this Mexican corn salad.
How To Blanch Corn
If you would prefer to blanch the corn instead of grilling it, then it will still work beautifully for this easy side dish. First, begin by making corn is completely shucked, and the silk has been removed. Then boil a large pot of water and sprinkle with salt. Once it’s at a rapid boil, toss in the corn cobs. You should only boil for 2-3 minutes because you aren’t trying to cook the corn all the way through. Next place corn cobs in large bowls filled with ice and water. Pop the corn into the water and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then when it’s cool enough to touch you can cut the kernels off the cob. Either toss them into the salad or place it in freezer bags for later use.
Can You Make Corn Salad Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make this easy side dish ahead of time if you wish. Follow the directions and make it as written. Then place the salad into a large airtight bowl or container with a lid. You can store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This fresh summer salad is ideal for feeding a crowd.
What To Serve With Mexican Corn Salad
This great summer salad goes with almost any meal you make. You can even eat it by itself if you are looking for a light lunch or dinner. Here are my go-to dishes that pair wonderfully with it:
- Grilled Steak, Chicken or Fish – Oh, it’s incredible with some protein. The flavors are a nice combination. If you don’t want to fire up the grill, try my garlic herb potatoes and steak skillet.
- Tacos or enchiladas – The Mexican flavors of both dishes go incredibly well together. So yummy!
- Kebabs – Whether you are making veggie kebabs, Hawaiian chicken kebabs or anything in between, they will go incredible with this summer veggie salad.
Check Out More Easy Side Dish RecipesPrint
An easy Corn Salad that is bursting with fresh flavors. Fresh corn, cherry tomatoes, beans and more.
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups oven roasted or grilled corn, cut from the cob
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together black beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, evoo, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Add to the large bowl and toss all of the ingredients together. Refrigerate for 1 hour to chill.
- Serve with a side of tortillas or rice.
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn salad, fresh corn salad, easy corn salad
Save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂