When you close your eyes and picture your perfect Summer, what do you see? I bet it is a sandy beach with a pina colada in your hand while soaking up some rays. Or poolside watching the kids splash around. It may even be a backyard BBQ with your loved ones. All of these settings have one thing in common. They are perfect places to enjoy some of your favorite summer foods! That brings us to our recipe of the day, Old Fashioned Potato Salad.
A classic recipe that has been enjoyed for years as the go-to side with your hotdogs and burgers. Old fashioned potato salad incorporates such fresh, and light ingredients that provide an incredible pallet cleans in between hot summer foods.
What type of onion do you recommend using?
Great question! You really can’t go wrong with using any onion, but we recommend either red onion for taste and presentation or sweet onion. Sweet onions truly add sweetness to your potato salad without the intense aroma of traditional onions. Red onions also have a sweeter taste to them but also have a slightly more pungent aroma and bitterness than yellow or sweet onions. Red onions are used most frequently in salads and are great served raw or cooked.
How long will my Potato Salad last?
This meal is really meant to be enjoyed the same day if not only the following day. Always store in the fridge and never leave at room temperature for too long. We recommend serving in a bowl submerged into a giant bowl of ice water or ice cubes. The longer the salad sits, the more intense the onion flavor will become, and soo,n it will be overpowering. Mayonnaise will start to break down, and the texture will change. We recommend trying to make enough for the guest you are serving with a bit of extra. If you end up making too much, just send your guests home with some yummy leftovers. They won’t be disappointed.
No matter what occasion you are serving this staple side, you can never go wrong. Super easy and has a beautiful presentation. Especially if you top yours with paprika and chopped eggs, your grandma will be jealous of how great your potato salad taste; she will be asking for the recipe.
Where are you bringing this dish, and how are you preparing it? Let us know in the comment section below!
5 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
½ of a medium onion, chopped finely
5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
¼ cup sweet pickle cubes or relish
½ cup dill pickle cubes or relish
1 celery stalk, diced – Optional
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½-2 cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise
1 ½-2 tablespoons mustard
Paprika for garnish – Optional
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced for garnish – Optional
How to make Old Fashioned Potato Salad:
Step 1: Slice your peeled potatoes into thin cuts
Step 2: In a 5-quart pot, add potatoes and water
Make sure potatoes are submerged completely
Step 3: Place pot on the stove and turn heat to medium
Cook the potatoes for 8 minutes
Step 4: Drain your potatoes and allow them to cool
Step 5: In a medium mixing bowl, add in your eggs and onion
Stir to combine
Step 6: Grab another mixing bowl and add in celery, pickles, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper
Mix all ingredients
Step 7: Now, mix the potatoes with the eggs and onion
Toss everything together
Step 8: Add in the mayonnaise and stir until blended
Step 9: Add in your sliced hard-boiled eggs on top and sprinkle paprika
Serve, and ENJOY!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 5 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped finely
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet pickle cubes or relish
- ½ cup dill pickle cubes or relish
- 1 celery stalk, diced - Optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½-2 cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 1 ½-2 tablespoons mustard
- Paprika for garnish - Optional
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced for garnish - Optional
- Slice your peeled potatoes into thin cuts
- In a 5-quart pot, add potatoes and water
- Make sure potatoes are submerged completely
- Place pot on the stove and turn heat to medium
- Cook the potatoes for 8 minutes
- Drain your potatoes and allow them to cool
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in your eggs and onion
- Stir to combine
- Grab another mixing bowl and add in celery, pickles, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper
- Mix all ingredients
- Now, mix the potatoes with the eggs and onion
- Toss everything together
- Add in the mayonnaise and stir until blended
- Add in your sliced hard-boiled eggs on top and sprinkle paprika
- Serve, and ENJOY!
More salad ideas?