This Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taquitos Recipe is mind-blowing good. These are the best easy chicken taquitos, and they have wonderful Tex-Mex flavors. Ideal for meal prepping, these Instant Pot salsa chicken is suitable for a freezer meal as well.
Feed a crowd or keep them to yourself.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taquitos Recipe
This Instant Pot chicken recipe combines two things that I love—chicken and using my pressure cooker. I love how flavorful these homemade chicken taquitos are too. I have a feeling you are going to go wild for this meal prep chicken recipe also.
A while back, we invited some guests over and served these Instant Pot salsa chicken taquitos, and there wasn’t so much as a crumb leftover. I figured I would have a little bit left for lunch the next day, but I was wrong. 🙂
I take that as a great sign that everyone loves them.
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Whole Chicken In Instant Pot
When you cook the whole chicken, it takes around 10 minutes to sautee it and get the exterior browned. Then you will need to cook it in the pressure cooker for 28 minutes. It will take a while to come up to pressure, so you will need to consider that. After the chicken has cooked, then you need to let it complete a 25-minute natural release. So you should have the chicken completely cooked in under one and a half hours.
A taquito is a delicious dish that is made with tortilla shells that have been filled with meats, cheese, and veggies. They can be fried, baked, or air-fried. Typically, they are made with Mexican flavored seasonings and ingredients, but they can also be made with other flavors as well.
What Does Natural Release Mean?
Natural release means that you allow the pressure to release slowly and naturally out of the Instant Pot. You don’t do anything to speed up the process and let it happen naturally. On the other hand, a quick-release means that you remove the pressure quickly by moving the nozzle to vent. Some recipes will ask for a combination of both. That means you may let it sit and do a natural release for a certain amount of time, then finish off by doing a quick release.
Variations To Recipe
This recipe can be customized to have your favorite fillings and ingredients. I wanted to share a few ideas that I think you might love.
- Beef – Instead of chicken, use cooked beef or hamburger instead. It’s a great way to add even more flavor too.
- Cheddar Cheese – Use some cheddar cheese instead of Monterey Jack. It’s a hearty cheese that goes well with the other seasonings and ingredients.
- Various Stocks – Instead of chicken stock, you can swap it for vegetable stock or beef stock. They are all great.
- Beans – Drain some black beans and add them to the filling. They add some extra protein and flavor too.
How To Freeze Chicken Salsa Taquitos
Layout all of the cooked taquitos on a pan or baking sheet and place it in the freezer. Leave the pan in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours so they can freeze firmly. Once they have frozen, take them off the pan and put them in a freezer bag or another storage container of your choice. Then put them in the freezer. They will last 1 month in the freezer.
How To Cook Frozen Taquitos
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and put them on a baking sheet. Cook them for 25 -30 minutes until they are hot all the way through and enjoy!
It’s amazing how well these ingredients go together to create these delicious Instant Pot salsa chicken taquitos. Let’s take a peek at what you need.
- Tejan seasoning
- Whole roasting chicken
- Canola oil
- Chicken stock
- Mexican seasoning bouillon
- Cream cheese
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Diced red onion
- Green onions, chopped
- Garnish with Spicy Chili Lime seasoning
How To Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taquitos
1. Start off by removing the giblets and excess fat from the chicken cavity.
2. Use paper towels to dry the chicken thoroughly.
3. Use the Tejan seasoning to season chicken and chicken cavity.
4. Fill the cavity with the lime halves.
5. Turn on the 6 or 8-qt Instant Pot® to the high saute setting.
6. Add canola oil and chicken to the pressure cooker. Put it breast side down, and cook until evenly golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
7. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 4 minutes, remove from the pot, and set aside.
8. Put the metal trivet into the pot.
9. Pour in the chicken stock, 1 cup of salsa, and the chicken on top of the trivet.
10. Turn on manual high and set for 28 minutes.
11. After the chicken is done cooking, naturally release pressure for 25 minutes.
12. Allow the chicken to rest until cool.
13. Remove the chicken from the bone, and skin then shred.
14. Put the chicken in a large bowl.
15. Mix together the softened cream cheese, Monterey jack cheese, onions, salsa, and 1 tbsp. Tejan seasoning and combine.
16. Spoon three tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and roll it up.
17. Place the taquitos on a parchment covered baking pan with the seams facing down.
18. Spray the taquitos with non-stick baking spray.
19. Add a few sprinkles of the Spicy Chili Lime seasoning on the taquitos.
20. Bake them for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 2 Tbsp. Tejan seasoning
- 1 (4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 Limes, halved
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 mexican seasoning bouillon
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp. Green onions, chopped
- 1 cup Salsa ( medium )
- 15 ( 6 inch ) tortillas
- Garnish with Spicy Chili Lime seasoning
Remove giblets and excess fat from the chicken cavity.
Dry chicken thoroughly with paper towels.
Season chicken and chicken cavity with Tejan seasoning.
Stuff the cavity with the lime halves.
Set 6 or 8-qt Instant Pot® to the high saute setting.
Add canola oil and chicken, breast side down, and cook until evenly golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 4 minutes, remove from the pot and set aside.
Place metal trivet into the pot.
Add the chicken stock, 1 cup of salsa, and the chicken on top of the trivet.
Select manual to high, and set for 28 minutes.
When finished cooking, naturally release pressure for 25 minutes.
Let rest until cool.
Remove the meat from the bone, and skin, and shred.
Place the chicken in a large bowl.
Add your softened cream cheese, monterey jack cheese, onions, salsa, and 1 tbsp. Tejan seasoning.
Mix to combine.
Spoon 3 tbsp. Of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and roll it up.
Place the taquitos seam down on a parchment covered baking pan.
Spray the taquitos with non-stick baking spray.
Sprinkle with Spicy Chili Lime seasoning.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Taquitos can be frozen up to 30 days. Place in a sealable freezer bag laying flat.
Cook from frozen:
Bake for 25 min.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 2366mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 36g
More delightful Instant Pot recipes you should try. They are tasty and perfect for great dinner options.
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken – If you love cashew chicken, you should try making it in your pressure cooker. It’s delicious and simple too.
- Easy Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – You don’t even have to warm up your house when you make these simple baked potatoes in your Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Risotto with Chicken – This meal is so good that it tastes like it was made in a restaurant. I can’t wait for you to try it.
- Delicious Instant Pot Lamb Chops – You’ve never had lamb chops this good before. Try them and see for yourself.