This incredible Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole Recipe is the comfort food you have been looking for. When you try this chicken potato casserole, you will be amazed by how easy, hearty, and delicious it is. Plus, this chicken and potato casserole is great for a crowd and simple to bake too.
Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole Recipe
We eat a fair amount of chicken at our house because it doesn’t cost a ton of money and it pleases us all. This chicken potato bake is one of our favorite weeknight meals because we all love how great it tastes. Plus, I love that cleanup is a breeze, it doesn’t take a lot of effort, and that the little kids will even be happy to devour it. If you are looking for a new boneless chicken recipe, I highly recommend this one! It’s bound to be a new favorite. 🙂
What Are The Best Variety Of Potatoes To Use
We love the texture and flavor of red potatoes when I make this loaded baked potato chicken casserole. Keep in mind you are more than welcome to use other varieties of potatoes, but the texture may not be as good. Some of our go-to substitutes are Yukon gold, yellow potatoes, or even Russets. Just cut them into evenly sliced pieces.
Can I Use Pre-Cooked Chicken
Yes, if you would rather use pre-cooked chicken, you can. The only issue you may have with pre-cooked chicken is that it’s probably going to dry out some. So, I recommend if you are going to use pre-cooked chicken to add it the last 15 minutes of cooking. This should help prevent it from being too dry.
Variations To Recipe
Now that we have you drooling and ready to make this amazing Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole. I wanted to give you a few options to consider as variations. Feel free to make any adjustments you enjoy, but these are our favorites:
- Cheese sauce: Make some cheese sauce and drizzle it over the chicken and potatoes during the last 10 minutes of baking. It’s extra delicious!
- Turkey: Swap the chicken for some turkey instead. It’s a yummy alternative that is great for using up leftover turkey.
- Broccoli: Add in a cup or two of broccoli heads to the mixture. It’s a lovely way to get a boost of nutrients and flavor too.
- Hot Sauce: Sprinkle on a little bit of hot sauce. You will get a zip of flavor that’s unbeatable!
How To Store Leftovers
Once you are done baking this chicken casserole, allow it to cool all the way. After the baked potato and chicken casserole has cooled, put it into a container that can be sealed tightly with a lid. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Reheat the leftovers in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it’s hot all the way through. Then enjoy!
Can You Prep This Dish Ahead Of Time
Yes, you can actually add all the ingredients except for the garnish to the pan. Cover it tightly and store it in the fridge up to 24 hours in advance. Bake within 24 hours, and you’ll be all set.
Is This Freezer Friendly
Yes, you can freeze this chicken casserole. Put it into individual-sized containers or keep it in one large container. Make sure the lid is snug and freeze for up to 2 months—Thaw in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave before serving.
The ingredients in this chicken casserole are pretty simple to work with. There isn’t anything strange, and odds are you have most of this on hand.
- Red Potatoes (scrubbed and cut into 1/2 in pieces)
- Bacon (slices cut then fried)
- Bacon grease
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Unsalted butter (melted)
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper (divided into 2- 1 cup measures)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onion sliced thin ( green and white)
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
Kitchen Items Needed:
- 9×13 in baking dish
- Cooking spray
- Paper towels
- Small bowl
How To Make
There are just nine easy steps between you and this mouth-watering dinner idea. Once you taste this loaded baked potato chicken casserole, you are going to want it all the time.
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Use Cooking spray and coat the baking pan well.
Step 2. Dice up the red potatoes and toss them in the baking dish.
Step 3. In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together. Once mixed, pour over the potatoes.
Step 4. Next, you’ll need to cook your potatoes at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when you poke them.
Step 5. In a pan, you will cook up your diced bacon until crispy. Remove and place bacon on a paper towel.
Step 6. Leave the grease in the pan and add in the diced chicken and cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
Step 7. Once potatoes are done, remove and top with chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with cheese, and if you want, you can add layers of meat and green onions to the top.
Step 8. Put the chicken potato casserole back in the oven to melt the cheese. This takes around 3-5 minutes.
Step 9. Once done, remove the casserole and let cool slightly. Then add your favorite toppings and serve.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 6 cups red potatoes (scrubbed and cut into 1/2 in pieces)
- 1- 8 oz package of bacon (slices cut then fried)
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet.
- 1 1/2 LB boneless and skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 11/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (divided into 2- 1 cup measures)
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C green onion sliced thin ( green and white)
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- 9x13 in baking dish
- cooking spray
- paper towels
- small bowl
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then spray your baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dice up your potatoes and toss them in the baking dish.
- In a bowl you will mix your melted butter, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together. Once mixed pour over the potatoes.
- You will cook your potatoes at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when you poke them.
- In a pan you will cook up your diced bacon until crispy. Remove and place bacon on a paper towel.
- Leave the grease in the pan and add in your diced chicken and cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Once potatoes are done, remove and top with chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with cheese, and if you want you can add layers of meat and green onions to the top.
- Put the chicken potato back in the oven to melt the cheese. This takes around 3-5 minutes.
- Once done remove the casserole and let cool slightly. Then add your favorite toppings and serve.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 897mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
If you are hungry for more delightful chicken recipes, you are in the right spot. Each one of these meals is comforting, great for busy evenings, and tastes AMAZING! Plus, you can easily print off each one!
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos, We are huge taco lovers at our house, and these chicken tacos are always a hit. They disappear quickly because we devour every crumb.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Instant Pot Chicken Taquitos, If you love chicken taquitos, then be sure to try these beauties. They are going to make you drool.
- Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup, Comfort food at it’s finest! This chicken noodle soup is great over a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes or all by itself.
- Crispy Baked Chicken Fingers, I could eat chicken fingers every day. These strips are crispy, flavorful, and irresistible too.