This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Do you love pizza and bread so much that you wish they combined forces somehow?
Well, have we got a surprise for you! We’ve just come across an amazing recipe for pepperoni bread – it’s like combining the two most delicious foods known to mankind into one epic dish.
This classic pepperoni bread is a great addition to any Italian feast. It is simple to make and is loaded with flavor. The dough is made with yeast and is then filled with layers of pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and Italian herbs.
The result is a flavorful, cheesy, and aromatic loaf of bread that is sure to impress.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Why I love this Pepperoni Bread recipe:
- It has the perfect combination of savory and sweet flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
- It’s a great way to use up any leftover pepperoni you may have in the fridge.
- It can easily be customized with any topping of your choice.
What type of dough is used for the recipe?
The dough for this pepperoni bread is homemade. It combines flour, yeast, honey, and hot water. The combination is insanely good!
What type of cheese is used?
We recommend using mozzarella, bonus points if it’s freshly shredded mozzarella! If you want to swap the cheese or use a combination of different cheeses, that is more than fine. Gouda, provolone, parmesan, and even some cheddar would all be pretty delicious.
- Dry active yeast
- Hot water
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour divided
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices
How to make Pepperoni Bread:
Step 1. Place the yeast, hot water, and honey in a mixing bowl.
Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes undisturbed.
Step 2. Add 2 cups of flour to the mixing bowl.
Then, add the olive oil and salt. Mix until well combined.
Step 3. Place the remaining ½ cup of flour into the mixing bowl, and beat until the dough easily comes away from the dough hook.
Step 4. Cover the mixing bowl, and allow the dough to rest in a warm area for an hour.
Step 5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 6. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangular shape about ¼ of an inch thick or less.
Step 7. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on the dough.
Step 8. Place a layer of pepperoni slices on the dough.
Step 9. Carefully roll the dough lengthwise into a log. Cut slits into the dough on top of the log, and place onto a baking sheet.
Step 10. Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Step 11. Cut the bread into slices and serve with dipping sauce if desired.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 1 Package dry active yeast
- 1 C. Hot water
- 2 tsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 C. + ½ C. All purpose flour divided
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 C. Mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz. Pepperoni slices
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Place the yeast, hot water and honey in a mixing bowl, stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes undisturbed.
- Add 2 cups of flour to the mixing bowl as well as the olive oil and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of flour into the mixing bowl, and beat until the dough easily comes away from the dough hook.
- Cover the mixing bowl, and allow the dough to rest in a warm area for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangular shape about ¼ of an inch thick or less.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on the dough.
- Place a layer of pepperoni slices on the dough.
- Carefully roll the dough lengthwise into a log. Cut slits into the dough on top of the log, and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Cut the bread into slices and serve with dipping sauce if desired.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Which spices are used to make pepperoni bread?
The only seasoning in this pepperoni bread recipe is salt. You are welcome to add any spices you like. Italian seasoning, dried oregano, or parsley flakes are all great options.
How long does it take to prepare the bread?
Due to the time, it takes to let the homemade pepperoni bread rise, it takes about an hour and a half. Only 30 minutes are spent preparing ingredients and baking, though.
What temperature should the oven be preheated to?
You’ll need to bake the pepperoni bread at 400 degrees F.
How long should the bread bake for?
It needs to be baked until it is done and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
What type of pepperoni should be used?
Any variety or flavor of pepperoni works. You can use regular, large pepperoni, mini pepperoni, or even turkey pepperoni. Go with whatever you like.
How can you ensure the bread does not become soggy?
Don’t add too many fillings, or it may become soggy. Another reason why this bread doesn’t usually become soggy is the fact that we don’t add any sauce to it. The sauce can sometimes cause it to have a wetter texture.
Are any additional ingredients needed for the recipe?
- Active dry yeast
- Hot water
- Olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Mozzarella cheese
What is the best way to store the bread?
It should be kept in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerated. It will last up to 4 days in the fridge. Warm it in the microwave before serving.
What are the most common variations of pepperoni bread?
- Add other meats. Sausage, Canadian bacon, bacon, hamburger, or chicken all taste great.
- Sprinkle some fresh or dried herbs. Italian seasoning, chopped oregano, or parsley are our favorite additions.
What other toppings can be added to the bread?
- Cheddar cheese
- Colby Jack
- Plus any other toppings you like!
How can the bread be served?
- Marinara sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Garlic bread
- Caesar salad
- Italian salad
Can the bread be frozen for later use?
Yes, wrap the homemade pepperoni bread with plastic wrap tightly. Then put it inside of another freezer container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
What tips can be used to make the perfect pepperoni bread?
- Roll the dough out so it is thin, about 1/4 inch. This will allow it to bake evenly.
- If you decide to add sauce, don’t go overboard. Too much sauce will leak out and cause the breading to be doughy.
- When adding toppings, keep them to a minimum. The outside of the bread cooks quickly, but when you overfill it, it may not cook as evenly.
More Drool-worthy Pizza-Inspired Recipes
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole – Filling and super simple.
BBQ Chicken Pizza – Tangy, cheesy, and delicious!
Cheeseburger Skillet Pizza – This is a meal you’ll want repeatedly!
Taco Pizza – Incredible flavors in every bite!