Cool off with one of these Red White and Blue Firecracker Popsicles!
They are made with strawberries, blueberries, yogurt, and the perfect amount of sugar. You will love making these easy patriotic fruit-filled popsicles, and everyone else will love to eat these yogurt popsicles.
Red White And Blue Firecracker Popsicles
If you’re looking for a patriotic recipe to bring to that 4th of July cookout you’re invited to, look no further! These homemade firecracker popsicles are sure to be a hit with both kids and adults. Feel free to try different fruit purees and Greek yogurt for a different spin on these fruit and yogurt popsicles. You can even increase or reduce the amount of sugar needed based on your preferences.
They’re super easy to make, and you can feel good about giving your kids these homemade popsicles without all of those artificial flavors and dyes. Swirled with the colors of our flag, these popsicles are sure to be a hit!
You can serve them for the 4th of July or eat them when you are hanging out in the backyard on a hot day. There is no wrong time to enjoy these firecracker popsicles.
How to Get Layered Effect On popsicles
To get the layered effect with these red, white, and blue popsicles, you simply need to add a little bit of each color at a time. Add the mixture in layers, and it will naturally appear to be layered.
They will be a gorgeous homemade popsicle that you will want to eat often. If you want the layers to be extra sharp, you can put one layer into the mold and freeze it for 1 hour or so. Then add the next layer and freeze it for an hour. Repeat the process until all the layers are added.
Can I Use Different Flavors Of Yogurt
Yes, absolutely! When you are making these yogurt popsicles, you can easily swap out the yogurt if you want. We typically use low-fat plain yogurt to cut back on the calories.
However, you can use sweetened yogurt, flavored yogurt, Greek yogurt, or any other variety you like. A strawberry or blueberry flavored yogurt would be even more yummy.
Variations To Recipe
There are many things you can do to adjust these firecracker popsicles. While they are intended for hot summer holidays that are patriotic, you can certainly make adjustments to serve them for other occasions too. Here are a few ideas that I think you will enjoy!
- Peaches – Peel and cut up some fresh or frozen peaches. They are incredibly sweet and will go well with the other ingredients. You can swap out the berries with the peaches or include them with them.
- Blackberries – I love the flavor and texture of blackberries. They are incredible and would go well in these popsicles. Plus, they will give the popsicles a lovely purple color.
- Raspberries – Another favorite berry of mine is raspberries. Combine them with the strawberries or use in place of them.
- Cherries – You all know how much I love cherries! They are tangy and sweet and will be wonderful and perfect for summertime.
- Kiwi- Add a pop of vibrant color to the popsicles by adding in some freshly sliced kiwi. Trust me; you are going to love this addition.
How Long Will These Store For
As long as the popsicles are stored properly, you can freeze them for 6-8 months. You will need to keep them airtight and in a cold area in your freezer. Be sure not to put them in the freezer doors, or they may end up freezer burnt. These popsicles are great to make in advance and have on hand whenever a craving hits.
Tips For Getting Popsicles Out of Molds
The easiest way to get the popsicles out of the molds is to run the molds under some warm water for a few seconds. Typically, 20 – 30 seconds is long enough. Then you can remove the popsicles from the mold.
All you need is four ingredients, and you can easily make these red, white, and blue popsicles. Let’s take a look:
- Strawberries hulled and quartered – You should use fresh, but can substitute frozen if you desire to do so.
- White granulated sugar, divided
- Blueberries – Fresh is best, but frozen is yummy as well.
- Low-fat plain yogurt – You can use flavored or regular yogurt.
How to Make Firecracker Popsicles
There are only five steps to make these beautiful patriotic firecracker popsicles.
Step 1: Using your food processor that has been fitted with the metal blade, you will need to puree the strawberries with one tablespoon of white sugar. After processing, you can transfer it to a small bowl, set aside.
Step 2: Rinse out the food processor and fit it with the metal blade again. Then puree the blueberries and add one tablespoon of sugar. Set it aside.
Step 3: In another small bowl, combine together the yogurt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Step 4: Pour each of the 3 mixtures, alternating, into the popsicle molds, making 3 to 5 layers in each.
Step 5: Take a wooden skewer, and swirl the layers together using an up-and-down motion. Insert the popsicle sticks and freeze until solid, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 pound blueberries (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, puree strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In processor fitted with the metal blade, puree blueberries with 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together yogurt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Pour the 3 mixtures, alternating, into popsicle molds, making 3 to 5 layers in each.
- With a skewer, swirl mixtures together using an up-and-down motion. Insert popsicle sticks and freeze until solid, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
If you love these Firecracker Popsicles, be sure to try out some of these other yummy desserts. They are easy to make and perfect for summertime.
Blueberry Pie Cupcakes – These are always going to be welcomed at backyard barbecues and potlucks. They are so simple to make and are delicious too.
Mandarin Cupcakes – You are going to love everything about these gorgeous mandarin cupcakes. The beautiful, bright orange flavor is sure to please your tastebuds.
Strawberry Sheet Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Icing – There is nothing tastier than this summery sheet cake. Take it to your next gathering and watch everyone devour it. You’re going to love it!
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake – Nothing says summer more than an angel food cake. This recipe can easily be prepared in your pressure cooker. You don’t even have to heat up the house by turning on the oven!