This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Inspired by your favorite coffee shop’s recipe, this copycat Starbucks gingerbread loaf recipe is sure to be the tastiest treat you bake this holiday season! Gingerbread loaf is a great fall and winter dessert to serve your family or friends.
I don’t like to treat myself to a $4 slice daily (and my waist wouldn’t appreciate that either), I decided to create my own version. After a little bit of trial and error, this is what I came up with. And I have to say, not only does this taste exactly like the real Starbucks gingerbread loaf; it’s become one of my all-time favorite gingerbread bread recipes!
I am confident that you are going to love this easy gingerbread loaf as much as I do. You are going to love that it’s a no-fuss dessert that you can whip up in no time too!
How to make Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf
I am excited to share with you how to make this delicious gingerbread loaf recipe! It’s seriously so amazing, full of flavor, and everyone goes crazy for it. Take a look at these simple steps to get started making this easy gingerbread loaf:
First Step: Preheat the oven and prepare a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
Second Step: Prepare the wet ingredients by adding the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together until it is fluffy. While the electric mixer is still running, add in the vanilla and egg. Carefully blend in the applesauce.
Third Step: Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
Fourth Step: Slowly add this mixture to the butter, egg, sugar mixture blending until it is mixed together and smooth.
Fifth Step: Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes. (Or until it has risen and a toothpick comes out clean.)
Sixth Step: Allow the easy gingerbread loaf to cool and begin preparing the icing.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Warning, this frosting is so good you can eat it with a spoon! It makes the Starbucks gingerbread loaf even more amazing.
First Step: Add the cream cheese and the vanilla in a mixing bowl.
Second Step: Beat the cream cheese and vanilla together. Add the 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar beating until it becomes smooth and creamy.
NOTE: You can always add a little more sugar if it’s not as thick as you like. I recommend one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the texture you are looking for.
Third Step: Top the gingerbread loaf with a thick layer of frosting. Toss on some chopped pecans and enjoy!
Gingerbread Loaf Recipe Variations
Like most of my recipes, this gingerbread bread is super versatile, and you can do a lot with it. Here are some ideas to try:
- Walnuts – If you don’t have pecans or want something a little different add some walnuts to this easy gingerbread loaf instead.
- Chocolate chips – Everything tastes better when you add some chocolate chips into the mix. I recommend adding 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips in the batter. Use white chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate.
- Cranberries – Add some yummy cranberries, and you are going to be hooked. They are sweet, flavorful, and perfect for the holidays.
- Bananas – Don’t have applesauce? No problem, you can mash up banana instead and use it in place of the applesauce. It gives the gingerbread bread a nice but subtle banana flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – If you don’t want to add frosting, you could also sprinkle some powdered sugar on the top of the Starbucks gingerbread loaf instead. Tastes great either way.
- Pureed Pumpkin – Instead of using the applesauce, you can also replace it with some pureed pumpkin! Gives the homemade gingerbread loaf even more flavor too.
- Raisins – They add a pleasant texture to this easy gingerbread recipe. Plus, raisins just add to the feel of the holidays if you ask me! Try and see!
How Do You Know When Bread Is Done?
The easiest well to tell if this homemade gingerbread loaf is done is by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, that is an excellent indication that it’s done and can be removed from the oven. If the toothpick is wet, you will need to cook it a little bit longer and check again. As the gingerbread bread bakes, it will also begin to separate from the sides of the baking pan, so that is another clue that it’s done. Additionally, if you take your finger and gently press on the top of the easy gingerbread loaf, it should bounce right back up if it’s done. If the fingerprint stays, then you need to bake a few minutes longer.
How Do You Store Gingerbread Loaf?
The best way to store the gingerbread loaf is to wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then place it in an airtight container. This will give the gingerbread bread an extra barrier of protection, and it will last longer. On average, this easy gingerbread loaf will last 2-3 days on the counter.
You can also store the gingerbread loaf in the fridge if you like it cold. Follow the mentioned method of wrapping the bread before storing it, and it will last 2-3 days in the fridge too.
How Do You Know When Bread Has Gone Bad?
You will know the easy gingerbread loaf has gone bad by checking several different things. First, the flavor is going to be stale or just taste strange. If you notice it doesn’t taste right, stop eating it, and throw it out. You may also see that the Starbuck’s gingerbread loaf has a funny smell. This is also a sign that it’s aging and should be discarded. Lastly, the gingerbread may have mold growing on it, which is an obvious sign it shouldn’t be eaten. Some foods you can cut off the moldy part and still eat it, but bread isn’t one of those foods. The reason is that the mold develops way before you can actually see it, so there may be bacteria growing without you being able to tell.
Can You Freeze Copycat Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf?
Yes, you can freeze the copycat Starbucks gingerbread loaf. Tightly wrap it in individual pieces with aluminum foil or cling wrap. This is a great way to protect the bread from the elements of the freezer. Place the wrapped bread in freezer-safe storage back or another airtight container. It will last 1-2 months in the freezer without any issues.
To eat the bread, either place it on the counter to defrost it or put it in the fridge overnight. Once it has thawed out, it’s ready to consume.
Even More Delicious Desserts
For now, Let’s pin this yummy Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf recipe for later:
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 C applesauce
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- chopped pecans
- 1/2 block cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 - 2 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking/ cooking spray.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together until it is fluffy. Add in the vanilla and egg while the electric mixer is still beating. Slowly blend in the applesauce.
- Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Add this mixture to the butter, egg, sugar mixture blending until it is mixed.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes. (Or until it has risen and a toothpick comes out clean.)
- Set aside the loaf until it slightly cools. Transfer to a cooling rack before frosting.
- Add the cream cheese and the vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the cream cheese and vanilla together. Add the 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar beating until
- smooth and creamy. (Add a little more sugar if it's not as thick as you like.)
- Spread a thick layer of the frosting over the gingerbread loaf. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
More bread recipes:
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake – This lemon blueberry coffee cake is moist and delicious and absolutely mindblowing and wait until you smell how amazing the house smells. This lemon blueberry dessert will have you drooling and wishing the cake would be ready faster. One bite of the tangy flavors and you will be begging for more.
Blueberry Pie Recipe – This is an amazing blueberry pie recipe with the most perfect crust you will ever make. This fresh blueberry pie is on a whole new level.
Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf – With fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, mixed with blueberries and lemon syrup, then drizzled with a lemon glaze on top, this loaf is bursting with flavor.
Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake – You will love this Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe. It is bursting with flavor and simply delicious. If you love coffee cake you will love this recipe.