You know guys, I honestly don’t know where to begin with these babies. The cupcake? The frosting? How about that toasted coconut on top?
Today’s recipe goes out to all those coconut lovers out there! As many of you already know, I have a slight obsession with anything coconut! It may have something to do with the fact that I’m always in search of something to remind me of warm, tropical weather and this super cold start of spring has me super depressed!
Topped with a thick layer of luscious mocha buttercream frosting and sprinkled with toasted coconut, these coconut cupcakes will blow your mind! I’m pretty sure I just found my new favorite cupcake! You know when there’s coconut AND chocolate AND mocha buttercream involved-it has to be good. 😀
I actually couldn’t believe how incredible these cupcakes were. They’re super moist, chocolatey and coconuty. And then there’s the frosting. You guys, the mocha buttercream is out of this world! Every rich, fudgy bite is to-die-for.
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes topped with an incredible Mocha Buttercream frosting.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the Frosting:
4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
5 cups confectioners' sugar
3-5 tablespoons cold coffee
For the Garnish Topping:
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment until combined.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, vanilla and coconut extract; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in the shredded coconut. Batter will be thin. Transfer batter to a glass measuring cup with a pour spout and pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 18-22 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool the cupcakes in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
5. To Make the Coconut Garnish: spread the coconut onto a rimmed sheet pan. Toast in a 350°F oven, stirring frequently, until desired color is reached 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
6. To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, vanilla, and salt on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
7. In a large bowl, sift together the cocoa powder and confectioners' sugar.
8. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and mix until fully incorporated. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
9. Add 3 tablespoons of cold coffee and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. If you want your frosting a little thinner, gradually add in more coffee, 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
10. Frost cupcakes as desired and garnish with toasted coconut.
Source: adapted from My Baking Addiction
One Year Ago: Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
Two Years Ago: Meyer Lemon Scones
Three Years Ago: Snickers Cupcakes