Berry Cornbread Coffee Cake Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Berry Cornbread Coffee Cake Recipe is quick, easy, and filled with fruit. Serve this cornbread dessert for brunch or another reason you want something sweet. Enjoy some coffee and cornbread to start your day, and it’s bound to be fantastic!
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Berry Cornbread Coffee Cake Recipe
I was lucky enough to throw a baby shower for a close friend, and I wanted to make brunch for everyone. So I decided that this cornbread cake had to be on the menu. I am so glad I made it because not only does it have lots of berries, but it’s super flavorful and moist too.
Everyone was shocked and surprised by how good this cornbread coffee cake was. Most people had never heard of it before and wasn’t expecting to love it. However, everyone raved about the texture and flavors of it.
If you’ve never heard of a cornmeal dessert, today is your lucky day. You have stumbled upon the best cornbread cake there is. You are going to be pleased with everything about how it turns out too.
Sometimes on the weekends, we get a craving for a late breakfast and this is often our first choice. We usually cook a side of sausage or bacon to give us some protein and we dig in.
Can I Use Homemade Cornbread in Replace Of Boxed
Yes, absolutely! If you have a cornbread recipe that you love and would rather use it instead of a box, that’s great. We use a box because it saves some time and life gets too busy sometimes. Try it, and I am sure you will love the homemade cornbread experience.
Variations To Recipe
Add some variety to this cornbread coffeecake recipe. We love to try out new flavors to see what we enjoy the most. If you love to do the same thing, consider trying these ideas.
- Strawberries – I enjoy eating strawberries fresh or included in desserts. They are magnificent in this cornbread recipe.
- Nuts – Any kind of nuts would be great, but I like pecans that have been honey roasted. The sweetness is amazing. You can use regular nuts as well, depending on what you like the best.
- Dried Fruits – Any of your go-to dried fruits would work. Apricots, raisins, or even cranberries would all be lovely.
- Almond Extract – I enjoy a little bit of almond extract in many of my baked goods. Just replace half of the vanilla with almond extract. You can do more, but the almond extract is a very strong flavor so you aren’t going to want to go overboard.
Can I Use Frozen Berries
Yes, you can use frozen berries if you don’t have fresh. You will need to run them under some cool water and put them in a colander for 10-15 minutes. Drain off any liquid then finish with the recipe. Frozen fruit has a lot of water content, so don’t skip this step or you will end up with particularly wet bread.
How to Store Leftovers
After the cornbread dessert has cooled off completely, it can be added to a container. Keep it airtight, and it will last 3-5 days. You can store it in the fridge or keep it at room temperature. Either way works great and tastes good.
Is This Recipe Freezer Friendly
Yes, you can easily freeze this berry cornbread coffee cake if you want. Again, you will need to give the cornbread time to cool down all the way. Then after it’s cool, tightly wrap it in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped cornbread in a plastic or glass freezer container. It will last around three months in the freezer. Set it on the counter to defrost for a couple of hours then enjoy it.
When To Serve This Cornbread Dessert
Serve this cornbread for any occasion you can think of. It’s relatively sweet, so it’s best to be served as a dessert or brunch. Here are a few ideas to consider serving it at.
- Birthday Parties
- Baby Shower
- Bridal Shower
- Dinner Party
- Backyard Barbecue
- Pool Party
You only need 7 easy ingredients to make this cornbread coffee cake. It can’t get any more simple than that. Let’s take a look at what you need to get started:
- Box of cornbread mix – Or if you want to use homemade cornbread that’s fine too.
- Orange zest
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
How To Make Cornbread Coffee Cake
You are going to go wild for this cornbread coffee cake. It’s so tasty, and you shouldn’t have any problems whipping it up. Have a peek at these directions:
- Warm the oven to 350°F degrees.
- Begin by spraying non-stick cooking spray in a 9×13 pan on the bottom and sides and set aside.
- Now in a medium-sized bowl, you will need to follow the directions on the box of your cornbread and mix accordingly.
- Spread half the batter out into the pan evenly, and place the berries on top of the batter.
- Add the rest of the remaining cornbread batter.
- Sprinkle the batter with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake the cornbread for 55 minutes or to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until your cornbread cake is fully cooked, and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Garnish with whipped cream and berries. This cornbread dessert will be a sweet treat, and it is so easy to make.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Berry cornbread coffee sheet cake
- 1 Box of cornbread mix, miz as directed
- 1 Cup Raspberries
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Now you will want to spray cooking spray in a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Now in a bowl you will want to follow the directions on the box of your cornbread and mix accordingly.
- Now spread half the batter out into the pan, and place berries on top.
- Cover with the remaining cornbread batter.
- Sprinkle it with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 minutes or to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until your cornbread cake is fully cooked.
- Allow cooling for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Garnish with whipped cream and berries. This cornbread dessert will be a treat, and it is so easy to make.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
If you love this berry cornbread coffee cake, check out some of our other delicious treats for you to try:
- Coffee Lover’s Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake – Everything about this coffee cake is heavenly. It’s rich, velvety, and packed with flavor.
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake – Fall is the perfect time of year to break out this incredible pumpkin coffee cake recipe.
- Raspberry Coffee Cake with Almonds – Raspberries are so sweet and satisfying in this coffee cake with almonds. The almonds provide a great crunch too.
- Fresh Peach Coffee Cake – Fresh peaches make this coffee cake to an entirely new level of amazing. Try it and see how awesome it is for yourself.