Cheesy Potato Stew in Dutch Oven
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Love potato stew? Want an easy recipe for the best dutch oven chunky potato soup? This is the recipe you have been waiting for. This dutch oven stew is perfect.
Easy Dutch Oven Potato Stew
I love potato stew. As the weather gets colder I start thinking about thick stews that are just perfect on a cold night. This is a simple cheesy potato soup recipe that is so good, you will crave it all winter long.
What to Serve with Chunky Potato Soup
I love it whenever we can make a one-pot meal. Everything from the meat to the veggies to the starch is all in one pot. The clean up is so much easier. That is one of the things that make chunky potato soup. If you want to serve additional vegetables on the side, you can or serve it as a side salad. Of course, what is dinner without dessert? Here are some great tasting fall/winter desserts that I think you will love.
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Recipe – This flavorful pumpkin spice coffee cake is a yummy treat just in time for all the fall weather that’s coming. Once you taste this pumpkin coffee cake, you will feel like you are living in food heaven.
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie Recipe – Pumpkin meringue pie has all the traditional flavors of pumpkin pie with even more pizzazz! You will find a delicious pumpkin pie filling topped with a luscious meringue.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars Recipe – This moist, delicious, and easy to make pumpkin chocolate chip bars recipe is one of the best things you will ever taste. Is there seriously anything better than combining pumpkin and chocolate?
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars Recipe – These fantastic and scrumptious pumpkin cheesecake bars are perfect for fall weather! Every single bite is utterly delicious and hits the spot when you are craving all things pumpkin.
- Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf – Inspired by your favorite coffee shop’s recipe, this copycat Starbucks gingerbread loaf recipe is sure to be the tastiest treat you bake this holiday season!
What is Dutch Oven Cooking
One of the best cooking methods is using a dutch oven. A Dutch Oven is a thick-walled cooking pot that has a tight lid. Dutch Ovens can be made from aluminum, ceramic or seasoned cast iron. It is an essential cooking tool because of the heavy walls that contact heat and maintains the temperature. It is great for cooking large cuts of meat in a cooking liquid. Dutch Ovens are normally used to make stews, chilis, and braises.
How to Store Dutch Oven Stew
After you make this easy dutch oven stew, you will want to store the leftovers in the refrigerator. When storing leftovers, you can store them in the dutch oven itself with the lid, in an airtight container, or a freezer bag. Once the stew is cooled, wrap it well and store it in the refrigerator.
How to Reheat Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
When you are ready to reheat the cheesy potato soup recipe, you can reheat it on the stovetop, in the microwave or in the oven. Which method you use will usually depend on how much potato stew you are reheating. If I am only heating a bowl, I will usually use the microwave. If I am reheating all of the leftovers, I will use the stovetop or oven.
Can the Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe be Frozen
While technically this soup can be frozen, I do not like freezing potatoes. Whenever you freeze a potato the texture of it changes. Potatoes will be gitty and mushy when they are frozen. In this stew, when it is frozen, it will change the texture and consistency of the stew. For best results, do not freeze the stew.
How Long Does Dutch Oven Stew Last
When you make dutch oven stew, you will store it in the refrigerator. When stored properly, it can last up to 4 days before it is no longer safe to eat. Since this stew does not freeze well, whatever can not be eaten in time before it spoils, should be discarded.
Ingredients in Cheesy Potato Stew in Dutch Oven
- dried rosemary
- crushed red pepper flakes
- chicken broth
- Golden potatoes
- bay leaf
- black pepper
- sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley (chopped)
Other Equipment You Will Need
- Dutch oven
How to Make Dutch Oven Stew
Melt unsalted butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat.
Add onions, carrots, and celery stirring as you add. Cook for about 5-6 minutes (until they start to soften) stirring occasionally.
Add in the garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper stir. Continue to stir the ingredients when cooking for about 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour over the vegetables while continuing to cook and stir. In about 1 minute the vegetables will turn to medium blonde color.
Using the whisk slowly blend in 2 cups of the broth. (Continue to whisk until all lumps have been blended in.)
The soup will be thick.
Increase the heat while bringing the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add in the potatoes and the bay leaf. Cook for about 20 minutes, partially covered. (The potatoes will be fork tender.) Reduce the temp to low. Remove the bay leaf.
Stir in the sour cream and cheese.
Taste test and add salt and pepper accordingly.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Now, time to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Cheesy Potato Stew in Dutch Oven
- 3 TBSP butter
- 2 C chopped onion
- 1 C chopped carrot
- 1 C chopped celery
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 TBSP flour
- 4 C chicken broth
- 4 C chopped Golden potatoes, cubed (3 to 4 medium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt +
- 1/4 black pepper+
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Dutch oven
- Melt unsalted butter in a Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery stirring as you add. Cook for about 5-6 minutes (until they start to soften) stirring occasionally.
- Add in the garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper stir. Continue to stir the ingredients when cooking for about 30 seconds.Sprinkle with flour over the vegetables while continuing to cook and stir. In about 1 minute the vegetables will turn to a medium blonde color.
- Using the whisk slowly blend in 2 cups of the broth. (Continue to whisk until all lumps have been blended in.)
- The soup will be thick.
- Increase the heat while bringing the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add in the potatoes and the bay leaf. Cook for about 20 minutes,partially covered. (The potatoes will be fork tender.) Reduce the temp to low. Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the sour cream and cheese.
- Taste test and add salt and pepper accordingly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Make sure you check our best recipes:
Stuffed Pepper Soup in the Slow Cooker – This easy stuffed pepper soup is my best slow cooker meal, great for feeding the entire family on a budget!
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings – If you love traditional chicken and dumplings, you’ll love this easy crockpot chicken recipe!
Pressure Cooker Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup – This Pressure Cooker chicken noodle soup recipe is easy to make and tastes amazing.