Want a delicious sweet potato stew recipe? You are going to love how amazing this simple sweet potato stew with sausage recipe is. A perfect comfort food recipe, this stew is perfect for chilly nights.
Sweet Potato Stew with Sausage
I love soups and stews. It is perfect for the cooler nights. It makes me want to snuggle up in comfy clothes and enjoy a nice bowl of stew. With a stew like this one, it is so filling, you will want to eat it every night. With this being healthy and delicious, this will become one of your go-to stew recipes.
What to Serve with Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Stew
This stew can be a complete meal on its own. Filled with healthy sweet potatoes, this stew is a great tasting meal. If you are looking for something to serve with it, you can make these cheesy biscuits. After dinner is over, you can top it off with one of these desserts.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars Recipe – These fantastic and scrumptious pumpkin cheesecake bars are perfect for fall weather! Every single bite is utterly delicious and hits the spot when you are craving all things pumpkin.
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake – Moist, delicious lemon blueberry coffee cake is mindblowing good. The aroma of baking the lemon blueberry dessert will make you drool and wish that time could go faster.
- No Bake Oreo Pie with Chocolate Ganache Recipe – This no-bake oreo pie is out of this world amazing! Decadent, creamy, sweet, and a perfect dessert to end a meal with. You can never go wrong with an oreo pie recipe no bake because you don’t even have to heat the house.
- Easy Millionaire Pie Recipe – Fresh, light and scrumptious millionaire pie is just what you need in your life! You won’t be able to get enough of the creamy filling in this millionaire pie recipe.
- Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf – Inspired by your favorite coffee shop’s recipe, this copycat Starbucks gingerbread loaf recipe is sure to be the tastiest treat you bake this holiday season!
How to Peel Sweet Potatoes
When you re peeling sweet potatoes there are 2 ways that it is usually done. They can be peeled using a paring knife. Simple use the knife to remove the outside skin of the sweet potato, trying to not cut too much of the actual potato flesh. Some people like this method better because it is faster, however, it is easier to cut yourself and to remove too much flesh with the skin. The other option is to use a potato peeler. With the peeler, you simple scrap away the skin of the sweet potato. This way is slower hand has less control, but it is an easy way, kids can help, and it rarely takes away more than the layer of skin.
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
Cutting sweet potatoes is daunting to some people because the potatoes are hard and make cutting them difficult. When cutting sweet potatoes, try this method to make it easier and safer.
After peeling the sweet potato, use a sharp knife to cut the ends off the potatoes. Next, slice the side off the sweet potato to square it off. Next cut the potato into slices about 1/2 inch. Then turn the strips and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. The reason you slice the potato this way is that it gives you flat areas that do not twist and roll while being cut.
How to Store Spicy Sausage Soup
When you make this soup, you will want to store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Once the soup has cooked and cooled, transfer the stew to an airtight container. If you have cooked this soup on a dutch oven, you can actually continue to store it in the dutch oven thanks to the lid that goes with it. If you do not have a lid for the container you are using to store the soup, simply wrap it well with plastic wrap before putting it in the refrigerator. The soup will last up to 4 days when stored properly.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Stew with Sausage
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried onion flakes
- dried oregano
- smoked paprika
- sweet paprika
- bay leaf
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Spicy sausage
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- vegetable broth
- petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- sweet potato
- butter beans
- fresh parsley
Other things you will need
- Dutch Oven
- Small bowl
How to Make Sweet Potato Stew with Sausage
Add the spice ingredients in a bowl. Mix Well. Set aside.
Add the red onion and red bell pepper in a Dutch Oven.
Saute on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
Add the minced garlic.
Continue on medium heat for 30 seconds. Continue on medium-high heat and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the mixed spice ingredients, sauteing for 30 seconds.
This will release the fragrance.
Slowly add the broth and water. Stir to mix. Add the diced tomatoes and tamari. Bring it to a boil. Stir well. Immediately lower the heat to a low simmering boil.
Stir in the cubed sweet potatoes, sausage, and the first can of the butter beans. Continue to simmer for 18 minutes. Add the parsley and miso.
Stir to combine. Add the last can of butter beans. Stir well. Continue to simmer. Check to see if the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste Remove the bay leaf.
Garnish each bowl of stew with parsley before serving
Last step: remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 TBSP dried onion flakes (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Spicy sausage (cut in 1 inch pieces)
- 1 medium red onion (diced small pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced small pieces)
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 1/2 C vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 TBSP miso
- 1 TBSP tamari
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled/ cut in small cubes)
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) butter beans (drain/rinsed each can)
- 3 TBSP fresh parsley (chopped)
- Dutch Oven
- Small bowl
- Add the spice ingredients in a bowl. Mix Well. Set aside.
- Add the red onion and red bell pepper in a Dutch Oven.
- Saute on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic.
Continue on medium heat for 30 seconds. Continue on medium-high heat and saute for 1-2 minutes.Add the mixed spice ingredients, sauteing for 30 seconds.
This will release the fragrance.
- Slowly add the broth and water. Stir to mix. Add the diced tomatoes and tamari. Bring it to a boil. Stir well. Immediately lower the heat to a low simmering boil.
Stir in the cubed sweet potatoes, sausage, and the first can of the butter beans. Continue to simmer for 18 minutes. Add the parsley and miso. Stir to combine. Add the last can of butter beans. Stir well. Continue to simmer. Check to see if the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste Remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish each bowl of stew with parsley before serving
Make sure you check our best beef recipes:
Easy Baked Corned Beef and Cabbage – If you are looking for the best baked corned beef and cabbage recipe, look no further.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Eggroll Appetizer – My Corned Beef and Cabbage Eggroll Appetizer is great as an appetizer or use it as a dinner too.
Taco Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Meal – Taco Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Meal si the perfect ground beef and cabbage meal.
Easy Beef Stew – This Easy Beef Stew recipe is the ultimate easy comfort food dinner for cold weather.