This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
I don’t know about you, but I could really go for some nuggets right now. But not just any nuggets. Nuggets made from fresh, American-grown corn! Ohhh yeah.
So put down that greasy fast food joint and follow me to the kitchen so we can make some of these bad boys!
Trust me, they’ll satisfy your craving in no time. Plus, they’re a heck of a lot healthier than the alternative.
Let’s get started!
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Why do I love Corn Nuggets?
Because they’re delicious, of course! I mean, what’s not to love about crisp, golden nuggets of corn goodness? They make the perfect snack or side dish, and they’re always a hit with kids and adults alike.
Plus, they’re super easy to make at home. This corn nugget recipe is my go-to whenever I’m craving something crispy and tasty. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll be hooked!
What are corn nuggets?
Corn nuggets are bite-sized pieces that are filled with a creamy corn mixture. They can be made to be sweet or savory. They are most often served as an appetizer but can also be a side dish.
Corn Nuggets Tips
- The key to perfect corn nuggets is to use fresh corn. Frozen or canned corn just won’t cut it – the nuggets will be mushy and tasteless.
- I like to add a little bit of cheese to my corn nugget batter for extra flavor, but you can leave it out if you’re watching your calories.
- Make sure to coat the nuggets in plenty of breadcrumbs before frying. This will help them stay nice and crispy.
- Serve the nuggets with your favorite dipping sauce. I love ranch dressing or BBQ sauce, but honey mustard or ketchup are also great options.
- Creamed style corn
- Whole kernel corn drained well
- All-purpose flour
- Egg white
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
How to make Corn Nuggets:
Step 1. In a bowl, add the cream corn.
Then, add whole-kernel corn.
Stir together until combined.
Step 2. Place spoonfuls of the corn mixture onto a large parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 3-4 hours.
Step 3. In a bowl, add the cornmeal.
Then, add the flour.
Then, add egg white and milk.
Lastly, add garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4. Heat several inches of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
Step 5. Dip the frozen corn into the breading mixture and immediately fry in the hot oil until golden brown.
Step 6. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 1 Can Creamed style corn
- 1 Can Whole kernel corn drained well
- ½ C. All purpose flour
- ½ C. Cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 Egg white
- ¼ tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In a bowl, stir together the cream corn and whole kernel corn until combined.
- Place spoonfuls of the corn mixture onto a large parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 3-4 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, milk, egg white, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat several inches of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Dip the frozen corn into the breading mixture and immediately fry in the hot oil until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Pin this recipe for later 🙂
Corn Nuggets Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous, there are plenty of ways to change up this corn nugget recipe. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Add some spice by stirring in a teaspoon or two of your favorite hot sauce to the batter.
- Give the nuggets an Italian flavor by adding some Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Make them Mexican-style by stirring in a tablespoon or two of taco seasoning to the batter.
- For a fun twist, try coating the nuggets in crushed cereal instead of breadcrumbs. Corn flakes or Frosted Flakes work well.
How long do you deep fry them?
They usually fry in about 5 minutes. You need to fry them until they are golden brown and the breading is done. They cook quickly, so don’t leave them unattended.
Can you make sweet corn nuggets in the oven?
While there are some recipes that can be baked, this one for corn nuggets is intended to be fried. Frying makes them crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.
After you remove the corn nuggets from the oil, place them on a paper towel to drain, and then once they are cool, place them in a paper towel-lined food container, and refrigerate for up 2-3 days. Reheat before serving.
What to serve with corn fritters?
- Baked Beans
- Mashed Potatoes
- Fried Pickles
- Hot Dogs
- Pulled Pork
- Grilled Chicken
Are corn nuggets hush puppies?
No, corn nuggets and hush puppies are different. The inside of corn nuggets is made of creamy corn, while the inside of a hush puppy is made of cornbread. Both are deep-fried and delicious.
Where do corn nuggets come from?
Corn fritters have been around for a long time and originated with Native Americans. They served corn nuggets deep-fat fried, and they are still popular now.
Looking for More Easy Snacks Recipes?
Homemade Corn Dogs – All I can say is that these are amazing!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Quesadillas – Incredible, easy, and a crowd-pleaser.
Zucchini Parmesan Cheese Fritters – Great for parties!
Filipino Lumpia – Crispy and delicious!