Flaky Apple Pie Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
These Flaky Apple Pie Bars are easy to make and they come out perfect every time! As the old saying goes, there’s nothing like a homemade apple pie. But sometimes, you don’t have time for all that fuss.
That’s where these Flaky Apple Pie Bars come in handy! With a buttery crust and layers of sweet apples, these bars are just as delicious as a traditional pie – but without all the hassle.
They’re perfect for any holiday gathering or as an after-school snack. Be sure to try the recipe for yourself – you won’t be disappointed! Now that you know how to make these delicious flaky apple pie bars, there’s no excuse not to try the recipe!
I can’t wait to hear from you and hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I do.
Scroll to Bottom for Printable Recipe Card.
Why do I love this recipe?
This is a delicious way to make a larger batch of apple pie bars for feeding a crowd. This makes a larger serving compared to a classic apple pie. Plus you might have all the ingredients on hand.
Which apples are dessert apples?
When you are picking an apple you want to reach for an apple that holds up when it is baked. Green apples, honey crisp apples, gala, golden delicious, Fuji, and more. You just want to make sure the apple won’t break down too much as it bakes and becomes soggy.
Do I need to cook apples before baking?
No, you do not need to cook apples before baking. As long as you bake your dessert long enough it will make the apples nice and tender and break them down just enough.
Now if you are working with apple pie filling then yes the apples will be baked first. Which is fine. Make sure to try out this apple pie filled coffee cake for another easy dessert with apples.
What to serve with them?
Not sure what to serve with this apple pie bar recipe? Consider trying out these peachy keen bars for another dessert bar.
These are great for parties and potlucks. Or whip up these butter bars, that are bursting with rich flavors.
What are the best apples for baking?
- Green Apples
- Honey Gold
- Make sure that you cut a few holes in the top of the pie crust that is laid on top. This is going to allow air release as it bakes which is a must.
- Brushing with an egg wash will help the crust to create a golden brown color that you know and love.
- If your pie crust is becoming too done, you can tent foil over the apple pie bars so that the crust doesn’t overbake.
- Add in some pears, strawberries, or even other berries to add flavor.
- Swap apples with peaches.
- Use store-bought pie crust that you roll out and shape instead of making homemade.
- Add a drizzle of caramel sauce over the top of the apples for a caramel apple pie bars recipe.
- Skip the glaze and add sugar on top of the pie bars before you bake for a bit of a crunch factor.
For the crust:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Egg yolks
- Egg whites
For the filling:
- Small Granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
For the glaze:
- Confectioners sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make Flaky Apple Pie Bars:
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and 3 tbsp sugar. Use the tines of a fork to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until a loose crumbly dough has formed.
Step 3. Add the egg yolks and milk to a bowl and beat to combine.
Step 4. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and beat until a well-mixed dough has formed.
Step 5. Divide the dough in half, and press half of it into the bottom of a well-greased 9×13 baking dish.
Step 6. Place the apples on top of the layer of dough.
Step 7. Cover the apples in ½ cup granulated sugar.
Then, add ¼ cup brown sugar.
Then, add 1 tsp of cinnamon.
Step 8. Press the second half of the dough into a flat layer over the apples in the baking dish.
Step 9. Brush the top of the dough with the egg whites that have been beaten until frothy.
Step 10. Bake for 40 minutes and then allow to cool.
Step 11. Mix together the ingredients for the glaze until smooth, and pour over the bars before serving.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Flaky Apple Pie Bars
For the crust:
- 2 ½ C. All-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 1 C. Shortening
- 2 Egg yolks
- ½ C. Milk
- 2 Egg whites
For the filling:
- 8 Small Granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ C. Granulated sugar
- ¼ C. Brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1 ½ C. Confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and 3 tbsp sugar. Use the tines of a fork to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until a loose crumbly dough has formed.
- Add the egg yolks and milk to a bowl and beat to combine.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture and beat until a well-mixed dough has formed.
- Divide the dough in half, and press half of it into the bottom of a well-greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Place the apples on top of the layer of dough.
- Cover the apples in ½ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Press the second half of the dough into a flat layer over the apples in the baking dish.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg whites that have been beaten until frothy.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then allow to cool.
- Mix together the ingredients for the glaze until smooth, and pour over the bars before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
THANKS FOR PINING!
Can you make a cheesecake crust out of Ritz crackers?
You can make Ritz crackers for a crust. You would use crackers with butter and omit the sugar in a graham cracker crust recipe. Then once you have your mixture ready press it tightly into the cheesecake pan.
Can you put Ritz crackers in the oven?
Yes, you can put crackers in the oven. Try my Ritz Ranch crackers which are seasoned Ritz cracker that is then baked in the oven. It creates a nice flavor but also helps the crackers to stay nice and crunchy.
How do you keep apples from getting mushy in a pie?
The biggest thing is reaching for the proper apple. Fuji, Golden Delicious, Green Apples, Honey Crisp Apples, and more are baking apples. If you reach for a softer apple it will become mushy.
The other thing is to make sure you do not overbake the apples or they will become soggy as well.
Can this recipe be doubled?
You can double this dessert bar recipe. Now you will just want to use two pans for this recipe. If you can’t fit both pans in the oven at once, then batch cook the bars.
I love making a large batch of these flaky apple bars as they are great for serving a larger group of people.
Do you have to peel the apples for pie bars?
Peeling apples is up to you. You will find that leaving the peels on the apples will offer a chewier texture to the recipe. Now, if you do peel the apples first it will be a softer end result.
But it has to be a personal preference if you choose to peel the apples or not.
Can I store and reheat Flaky Apple Pie Bars?
Store any of the apple pie bars in an airtight container in the fridge. It will store for up to 4-5 days. Now you can leave at room temperature but it will spoil within 1-2 days when left out.
To reheat just warm up for a few seconds in the microwave. Or you can warm it up in the oven for a few minutes.
Can I freeze Flaky Apple Pie Bars?
You can freeze the bars when they are raw or after it is baked. If you prep the bars just cover with foil a double layer. Then freeze for 2-3 months. Place in a cold oven and keep covered with aluminum foil for the first 10 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake as directed.
If you freeze it after it is baked, then simply freeze in an airtight freezer container. Then thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to reheat and eat.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Go right ahead and make these flaky pie bars the day before you want to eat. Then serve them up as is, or warm them up in the oven in a foiled pan.
More apple pies recipes?
Apple spice fritter bread – It’s sweet and amazingly moist!
Easy Caramel Apples – They are the best fall treats out there!
Cinnamon apple bread – This is the best apple cinnamon bread recipe.
Fresh apple cake – Very good apple cake! I’ve been making it for years!
Apple pie cake – The recipe is simple: three ingredients, one bowl, and about fifty minutes of your time.