Make Skillet Cheesy Chili Mac for Dinner Tonight
Why buy a premade box meal or pasta in a can when you can make you own chili mac fast and easy. With this recipe, you can make dinner in less than 30 minutes and it costs less than $10. With a dinner this good, you don’t have to worry about getting take out or premade junk that is full of fillers.
Can I make this a Vegetarian Chili Mac
I am using ground beef in this recipe, but if you wanted to make this a vegetarian chili mac, it is easy to make the changes. You can eliminate the ground beef and use veggie crumbles or you can take out the meat all together. There are many different brands or flavors of the meat crumbles. You can find them in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Whether you use the veggies crumbles or not, this recipe is great either way.
Can I add beans to this one pot chili mac?
When it comes to chili, some people like beans and some people do not. There are avenues of thought and both sets of people seem adamant that chili is supposed to be made like that. If you love beans in your chili and want to add it to this one pot chili mac, feel free. Beans are great for fiber and protein. It is, also, a great way to stretch the dinner to go further.
How to Store Homemade Chili Mac
This chili mac is great for dinner but it is also great the next day. When all the flavors have melded together. Once the chili mac has cooled move it to an airtight container. This will keep the meal from spoiling too soon. The chili mac will stay good for about 3 days in the refrigerator. When you are ready to reheat the meal, you can reheat it in a pot on the pan or you can reheat it in the microwave.
Can this One Pot Meal be Frozen?
When you are making this meal, if you will not finish the leftovers before it goes bad, you can move it to the freezer. Storing the meal in either a freezer bag or an airtight container, this will stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to store mine in a freezer bag. It takes up las space then it freezes flat instead of in containers or frozen ith the bag standing up. Write the name of what is inside and when it was frozen to make it easier to know what it is and when it is good till. When you are ready to eat it, simply take it from the freezer and move it to the refrigerator to thaw.
Ingredients for homemade chili mac
- vegetable oil
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- red pepper flakes
- brown sugar
- lean ground beef
- tomato sauce
- elbow macaroni
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
How to make chili mac recipe
Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
Add the water and tomato sauce to the ground beef mixture and stir to combine.
Add the pasta and stir to combine.
Cover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 12-13 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking.
Turn off the heat under the pan and add 1 cup of cheese.
Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover the pan again. Let stand for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
More Easy Dinner Ideas
This is such an easy dinner idea. It is great because it keeps you from buying take out or prepackaged food that never tastes as good a homecooked meal. Here are other easy dinner ideas that can help make weeknight dinners a snap.
- Easy Classic Brown Sugar Meatloaf – Meatloaf is a family favorite and with this meatloaf recipe it is easy to make at home any night of the week. This is an even better recipe topped with brown sugar in the recipe.
- Garlic Butter Meatballs with Lemon Zucchini Noodles Recipe – Spaghetti and meatballs are a delicious combination. When you make this recipe, you are getting extra vegetables when you replace the pasta with zoodles.
- Garlic Chicken Stir Fry Recipe Chicken stir fry is a great dinner anytime. Filled with tender chicken and vegetables, this dinner comes together in no time.
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings – Don’t order those expensive wings. Try these Garlic Parmesan chicken wings that you can make at home in no time. Packed with flavor and so tender, you have to try this recipe.
- Ham & Asparagus Casserole – Casseroles are one of the easiest things to make. It is perfect for dinner. The taste in this casserole if phenomenal and it is a great meal to make on a budget.
Looking for a homemade chili mac recipe? This one pot chili mac is easy to make and tastes amazing. This is a recipe the whole family will love. Adults and kids alike will love this chili mac recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the water and tomato sauce to the ground beef mixture and stir to combine. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 12-13 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Turn off the heat under the pan and add 1 cup of cheese. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover the pan again. Let stand for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili mac recipe
Now, remember to save this Savory Skillet Cheesy Chili Mac on Pinterest for later 🙂