Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Move over hamburgers, there’s a new kid in town – Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s! This easy weeknight meal is simple to make and soooo delicious.
Plus, it’s perfect for feeding a crowd. Give this recipe a try tonight!
Texas toast is a household favorite, so we decided to kick things up a notch and make sloppy joes using this delicious bread.
The outcome was amazing! If you’re looking for an easy, hearty meal that the whole family will love, then give this recipe a try. Trust me – you won’t be disappointed!
Why do I love Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s?
There are so many reasons to love this recipe! First, it’s made using garlic bread, which is always a good idea in my book. Second, it’s packed with flavor – from the beef to the veggies to the sauce. And third, it’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
This dish is so easy to make and can be on the table in just 30 minutes. Plus, leftovers reheat well, so it’s great for meal prep too. Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or something to feed a group, Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s is the perfect recipe!
What are sloppy joes?
Sloppy joes are a delicious and classic sandwich that is made with cooked meat (typically ground beef) and has a lot of sauce. It gets its name because, when you eat it, it gets a little bit sloppy! But it’s so worth it!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s Tips
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-made garlic bread. Just be sure to toast it before adding the Sloppy Joe mixture.
- To make things even easier, you can use ground beef that’s already been cooked. Just be sure to drain any excess fat before adding it to the recipe.
- For a vegetarian version of this recipe, you can substitute ground beef for crumbled tofu or cooked lentils.
Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s Variations
- For a spicy twist, add some diced jalapeños to the Sloppy Joe mixture.
- If you’re a fan of cheese, top your Texas Toast Sloppy Joe with shredded cheddar or mozzarella.
- For a fun twist on traditional Sloppy Joes, try using ground turkey instead of beef.
- No matter how you make them, Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are guaranteed to be a hit! So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try tonight. Your family will thank you!
What to Serve with Sloppy Joes:
- Lean ground beef
- Onion chopped
- Green bell pepper chopped
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Yellow mustard
- Garlic powder
- Texas toast bread
- White American cheese
How To Make Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s:
Step 1. Heat the broiler on high.
Step 2. Place the ground beef, onion, and peppers in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute until the meat is browned and the vegetables have softened. Drain any excess fat.
Step 3. Reduce the heat on the stove to low, then add the ketchup.
Then add the water.
Then, add the brown sugar.
Then, add the yellow mustard.
Then, add the worcestershire sauce.
Then, add the garlic powder.
Stir to combine, and saute for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Step 4. Place the Texas toast on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
Step 5. Top each piece of toast with a slice of American cheese and place the baking sheet under the broiler for 30 seconds.
Step 6. Add an equal portion of the meat mixture to the top of each piece of toast and then add another slice of American cheese.
Step 7. Place the baking sheet under the broiler again until the cheese has melted.
Done! Add it to your To-Make list. Share and Pin It!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Texas Toast Sloppy Joe’s
- 1 lb. Lean ground beef
- ½ C. Onion chopped
- ¼ C. Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 C. Ketchup
- ½ C. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Yellow mustard
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 6 Slices Texas toast bread
- 12 Slices White American cheese
- Heat the broiler on high.
- Place the ground beef, onion and peppers in a skillet over medium high heat. Saute until the meat is browned and the vegetables have softened. Drain any excess fat.
- Reduce the heat on the stove to low, add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard and garlic powder. Stir to combine, and saute for 5-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the Texas toast on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
- Top each piece of toast with a slice of American cheese and place the baking sheet under the broiler for 30 seconds.
- Add an equal portion of the meat mixture to the top of each piece of toast and then add another slice of American cheese.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler again until the cheese has melted.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
REPIN THIS EASY RECIPE TO YOUR BOARD(s)
How to Store Sloppy Joes on Texas Toast
You should not assemble the sloppy joes before storing them. Instead, store the beef mixture in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Then don’t toast the bread until you are ready to serve.
What can I use instead of ground beef?
You can use ground chicken, ground turkey, or even ground pork in place of the hamburger. Just keep in mind that they all taste slightly different, which will influence the final results.
Can I make this recipe without the cheese?
Yes, you can leave the cheese off or use a different flavor of cheese altogether.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
You can prepare the ground beef mixture up to 4 days in advance. However, it’s not a good idea to toast the bread until you are ready to serve the sloppy joes.
Other Delicious Dinner Recipes
Cheesy Ground Beef Rice Casserole – Craving comfort food? This is for you!
Italian Crescent Ring – Popular dish for any night of the week.
Chicken Alfredo Lasagna – A flavorful twist on a classic dish.
Baked Pork Chops – Creamy and super flavorful.