Texas Trash Buttermilk Chocolate Cake Recipe with Pecans
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Looking for the best buttermilk chocolate cake recipe? This is the best Texas Trash Buttermilk Cake recipe ever. Delicious and easy to make, you will want to make this recipe.
What is Texas Trash Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
If you love dessert as much as I do, you probably heard of Texas Trash Pie. This Chocolate Pecan cake is modeled after the pie recipe. It is amazing cake is a rich buttermilk chocolate cake that is topped with chocolate ganache and pecans. This is a moist chocolate cake recipe that is so good, you will reach for a second piece.
What to Serve with this Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
There doesn’t need to be a specific time to eat cake. Just because it is Wednesday is a good enough reason around here. However, I do try to make sure that I serve a good dinner before we eat the cake. In that case, here are a few of my favorite dinner ideas that you can make when you make this moist chocolate cake recipe.
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings – These succulent Instant Pot garlic parmesan chicken wings are finger-licking good! Juicy, tender garlic parmesan wings are super easy to make too!
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup With Vegetables – Looking for some fantastically delicious comfort food that’s easy to make? Then you are in luck because this turkey noodle soup is outstanding!
- Instant Pot Shawarma – This scrumptious Instant Pot shawarma recipe tastes so amazing; you can’t get enough. When I think of pork shawarma, my mouth will literally begin to drool. The shawarma spices are tasty and pair perfectly with the pork.
- Instant Pot Roast – This Instant Pot roast is an easy all-in-one hearty Instant Pot meal, perfect for cool nights! So much quicker and easier than any roast you’ve made before!
- Instant Pot Mississippi Ranch Chicken – Instant Pot Mississippi Ran0ch Chicken is tender, juicy and so full of flavor! It’s the best 10-minute dinner you’ll ever make! Mississippi Chicken will win over anyone after one bite.
How to Store Buttermilk Cake
When you make this cake, you will want to make sure you store it properly so it does not spoil too soon. When storing the cake, be sure to wrap it well with plastic or store it under a cake lid. This will protect it from the air, which will make the cake taste stale. While storing the cake in the refrigerator will keep the cake from spoiling sooner, the cake will taste dried out. Store the cake on the counter, wrapped well, for up to three days.
The Secret to a Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe
The secret to making a moist chocolate cake that has a rich flavor is coffee. The coffee brings out the flavor in this chocolate cake without ever tasting like coffee. When adding coffee to chocolate cake, let the coffee cool before adding it to the batter.
Can Chocolate Coffee Cake be Frozen
If you have more chocolate coffee cake than can be eaten before it goes bad, consider freezing the cake. When freezing this cake, cut it into individual pieces and then freeze the cake. Once the cake is frozen, put the cake in freezer bags or wrap well in plastic. You want to freeze the cake before adding it to the bag or wrapping because the chocolate ganache will get stuck to the plastic. When you are ready to thaw the cake, remove the wrapping or the bag first, and then thaw. You don’t want to lose any of the delicious ganache that covers this cake.
How to Make Ganache Frosting
Making ganache might sound complicated but it is extremely easy. Simple heat together a few ingredients in a pot, you can have a rich chocolate ganache in minutes. This ganache pours beautifully over the trash cake and creates the most amazing chocolate frosting. Once the ganache has been added to the cake, you will add the chopped pecan.
Ingredients in Texas Trash Buttermilk Chocolate Cake Recipe with Pecans
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- unsalted sweet cream butter
- Hershey cocoa powder
- brewed coffee
- pure vanilla extract
- whole milk
- powder sugar
Other Things You Will Need
- 1 sifter
- 13×9 baking dish
How to Make Texas Trash Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay the 13×9 baking dish with pam baking spray and place a sheet of parchment paper into the dish
Using a large mixing bowl and a sifter, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside
Using a medium pot over medium heat, combine the butter, cocoa and coffee, bringing it to a low boil. Whisk until combined and smooth
Gradually pour the mixture over the flour ingredients and and whisk until combined
Using a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until combined
Gradually whisk the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined
Pour batter into the baking dish and bake for 23-25 minutes or until the center bounces back slightly when touched
Using a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine the butter, cocoa milk, and salt, whisking until combined
Once butter has melted, gradually whisk in the powdered sugar until combined and smooth
Mix in 2/3 C of the pecans
Pour the icing over the top of the cake
Sprinkle remaining pecans onto the top of the cake and allow the icing to harden slightly
Now, time to save this cake on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Texas Trash Cake
- 2 C flour
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, cut into tablespoon sized cubes
- 1/3 C Hershey cocoa powder
- 1 C brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 sifter
- 13 x9 baking dish
- 1 1/2 C Chopped pecans
- 3/4 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1/3 C Hershey cocoa powder
- 1/3 C whole milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spay the 13x9 baking dish with pam baking spray and place a sheet of parchment paper into the dish
- Using a large mixing bowl and a sifter, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside
- Using a medium pot over medium heat, combine the butter, cocoa and coffee, bringing it to a low boil. Whisk until combined and smooth
- Gradually pour the mixture over the flour ingredients and and whisk until combined
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until combined
- Gradually whisk the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined
- Pour batter into the baking dish and bake for 23-25 minutes or until the center bounces back slightly when touched
- Using a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine the butter, cocoa milk, and salt, whisking until combined
- Once butter has melted, gradually whisk in the powdered sugar until combined and smooth
- Mix in 2/3 C of the pecans
- Pour the icing over the top of the cake
- Sprinkle remaining pecans onto the top of the cake and allow the icing to harden slightly
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Make sure you check those 5 stars cakes:
Decadent Eggless Chocolate Cake Recipe – Sometimes called Depression cake, this cake is perfect for a budget friendly cake recipe.
Old Fashioned Cajun Cake Recipe – Every crumb of this old fashioned cake is flavorful, moist, and filled with pineapple, pecans, and coconut.
Layered Butter Pecan Cake Recipe – Butter pecan cake is so moist, flavorful, and simple to make.
Instant Pot White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake – Truly a delicious dessert, you have to try this white chocolate raspberry cheesecake.