Tomato Tortellini Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Do you love tortellini? Want to make something new? You need to try this Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe. With a rich tomato flavor and tender tortellini, this is a soup for any occasion.
I love soup. I think it is a meal that can be served anytime. When it comes to tomato soup, many people only think of grilled cheese and tomato. Not me. I think about creating this flavorful soup that is also very filling. This tomato tortellini soup is great for feeding a crowd, for a simple weeknight dinner, or even when you are having guests.
What to Serve with this soup
When it comes to soup, I really like have bread or something else to dip into my soup. Even if it is just crackers. These Cheesy Quick Biscuits hold up well to being dipped into soup. Of course, when you have an amazing dinner, you need to have a great tasting dessert to go with it. Try these ideas:
How to Store Creamy Tomato Soup
When making this creamy tomato soup recipe, there is almost always extras. That is one of the great things about Tomato Tortellini Soup, it is an inexpensive meal to make and it goes a long way. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day and possibly even another dinner. When you are storing the leftovers of this creamy tomato soup, you want to let it cool completely before putting it in the refrigerator. Put the leftovers in an airtight container. You do not want to store the creamy tomato soup in the pan it was cooked in. It can leave a metallic taste to the sauce.
How to Reheat Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
When it comes to reheating this creamy tomato soup recipe, I like to reheat the whole batch on the stovetop. I like that it heats the tortellini evenly. If you are only reheating the soup per serving it can be heated in the microwave or in a smaller pot. Consider adding more cheese to the top right before serving. This will help the soup taste more like it did as it was first made.
Variations to Tomato Soup
I love the flavors in this soup but it is also easy to change it around to create new flavors. If you want to change the flavors try:
- Spices: If you know you like certain flavors in your tomato soup, you can easily add those spices to this soup
- Meat: Consider adding in shredded chicken or ground beef.
- Veggies: You can add vegetables to this soup to create another layer of flavors and textures.
- Different Tortellini: There are several types of tortellini you can use in this recipe. There are chicken or beef filled tortellini. There are just cheese filled and there are also vegetable and tri colored tortellini. Any of these filled kinds of pasta are great in this soup. It is a way to change the flavors of this soup without a major change.
Can This Tortellini Soup Recipe Be Frozen
If you have leftovers of this tortellini soup recipe that will not be eaten before it spoils, you can consider freezing it. The Tortellini and tomato soup freezes well. The tortellini soup recipe will stay fresh in the freezer for up 3 months. When you are ready to use the soup, be sure to let it thaw in the refrigerator before heating. This will help the tortellini soup to heat evenly and not scorch or over cook the pasta.
Does Tomato Tortellini Soup Make a Good Freezer Meal
I think this Tomato Tortellini soup makes a great freezer meal. If you are making it specifically as a freezer meal, I would stop at the step that calls for adding the tortellini. Then as you are storing it in the freezer, I would freeze the 2 in separate bags, holding them together with another bag. This will keep the tortellini from soaking up all of the soup, causing it to not have enough soup.
Ingredients in Tomato Tortellini Soup
- white onion
- olive oil
- dried rosemary
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- low-sodium chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
- cheese tortellini pasta
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Tomato Tortellini Soup
Combine chopped onion, minced garlic, olive oil, and dried rosemary in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onions become tender.
Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, dried oregano and basil, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and heavy whipping cream.
Stir and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add in tortellini pasta and let cook cor 13-15 minutes, until tender.
Add parmesan cheese and stir.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 medium white onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 20 oz. package cheese tortellini pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine chopped onion, minced garlic, olive oil, and dried rosemary in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onions become tender.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, dried oregano and basil, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and heavy whipping cream.
- Stir and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add in tortellini pasta and let cook cor 13-15 minutes, until tender.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
More Soup Recipes To Try
Instant Pot Detox Fat Flush Soup – This soup is not only tasty it is a great soup cleanse. Enjoy this healthy vegetables soup recipe all year long.
Potato Soup – This slow cooker potato soup is the best crockpot potato soup you will ever make!
Meatball Soup – This Meatball and Potato Soup will not only become one of your go-to hearty soup recipes for chilly nights but one of your favorite easy healthy soup recipes!