Trying to decide what to make for dinner, and you are stuck in a rut? Look no further than these mouthwatering BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches. They are packed with flavor, are easy to make, and are fantastic leftovers.
The vinegar-based sauce is tangy and gives you some zestiness in every bite. The moist and juicy chicken is bound to keep you coming back for more.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, look no further than these Barbeque Pulled Chicken Sandwiches! I have been making this recipe for a few years now, and it is always the first recipe I pull out when I know the day is going to be long and crazy. I am sure all of us have had one of those days. We really don’t want to put much thought into dinner, but we also don’t want to grab fast food on the way home. Here is where these delicious no fuss chicken sandwiches come in. Just toss everything into the slow cooker before work, and when you come home all you have to do is pull, scoop and eat. The chicken slow cooks on top of a bed of onions while smothered in a sweet and tangy sauce. Six hours later, you come home to the most incredible smell emanating from your kitchen. The slow cooker does all the work!
I have used my slow cooker probably more than any other kitchen device. Why? Because there is so much versatility in what options I have to make. You can create all sorts of recipes with using simple and basic ingredients. Most of the ingredients in this BBQ chicken is spices and seasonings. There isn’t much you need to use besides that.
If you are into meal planning, then you have one more recipe to add to your list. This homemade bbq chicken is fantastic for meal prepping. You can make it up ahead of time and eat on it for several days. We usually make it on Sunday and have lunch all week long. It lasts 4-5 days in the fridge pretty easily.
Do I Have to Use Homemade BBQ Sauce?
No, it’s not required to use homemade barbecue sauce. We LOVE this homemade BBQ sauce and legitimately can’t get enough of it. Once you taste it, you will understand. However, if you are in a hurry, you can quickly replace my homemade sauce with some of your favorite brands.
The sauce I make is both sweet and tangy at the same time. I would recommend using a sauce that is similar to have the best results.
What Sides Go With BBQ Chicken?
You can serve BBQ chicken with all sorts of sides. We love to usually have some type of potato as well as something cheesy. Baked beans are also a great option to add to your meal too, and they always go with anything that has barbecued flavor. I will list out a few of our favorites for you to try, and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
- Easy Homemade Amish Potato Salad – Whether you are hosting a party or just want something good for dinner, this potato salad is perfection.
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – Serving baked potatoes with barbecue is a regular thing at our house.
- Bacon Pecan Sauteed Brussel Sprouts – It’s easy to eat your veggies when they taste this great. They are sweet and sauteed perfectly every time.
- The Best Macaroni Salad – I am licking my lips just thinking about this incredible macaroni salad. Can’t wait for you to try it and see what you think.
You seriously can’t go wrong when it comes to choosing sides for this chicken recipe. Chips, fries, salads, dinner rolls, the list goes on and on!
As you will be able to see most of the ingredients are for the barbecue sauce. Don’t worry; even though there are a lot of ingredients it’s still super easy to make. Let’s take a look at what you need to make these irresistible barbecue chicken.
For the Chicken:
- Medium onion, thinly sliced
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
For the Sauce:
- Barbecue sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Yellow mustard
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Cayenne paper
- Light brown sugar
- Franks Hot Sauce
How to Make BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
I think you will be so thankful you tried this recipe. Cooking the chicken in your slow cooker couldn’t be an easier way to put dinner on the table. Kids and adults with scarf this food down in no time too. There are just three steps, and trust me; they are all really easy steps! Take a peek at how to make this barbecue chicken.
First Step: Begin by covering the bottom of the slow cooker with the sliced onions. Then add the boneless skinless chicken breasts on top of the bed of onions.
Second Step: Mix all of the sauce ingredients inside of a medium bowl. Pour the homemade barbecue sauce all over the top of the chicken breasts.
Third Step: Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken is fork-tender and shreds easily for about 6 hours. Or cook on high for 3 hours. Once the chicken is done, pull apart chicken with two forks. Serve on top of toasted split buns and enjoy hot.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
For the Chicken:
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne paper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Franks Hot Sauce
- Cover the bottom of a slow cooker with the onions. Place the chicken on top of the bed of onions.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the sauce ingredients and pour on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low until the chicken is fork-tender and shreds easily, about 6 hours. Pull apart chicken with two forks. Serve on top of toasted split buns.
Source: adapted from Food.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Chicken is a great protein option and can be made to be sweet, or you can opt for more savory options if you want. Here are a few of our lovely chicken recipes that we couldn’t wait to share with you.
- Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup – You can’t have too many awesome chicken noodle recipes. This is one of my favorites because it’s so satisfying and delicious.
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – Break out the crockpot again because you will need it to make these chicken tacos. They are so easy too.
- Easy Firecracker Chicken In Instant Pot – I am also a big fan of using an Instant Pot to make dinner. This firecracker chicken is lovely!
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip – Serve this buffalo chicken dip for your next movie or game night! It’s so fun to snack on for any occasion.