Looking for a delicious American Chop Suey Recipe? Filled with beef, pasta, cheese, and tomatoes, this is a classic comfort recipe that the whole family will love. Fast and easy it is a great weeknight meal idea.
Easy American Chop Suey Recipe
When it comes to super easy meals, American Chop Suey, or sometimes it is called American Goulash, is one of the easiest. Pasta, ground beef, tomatoes, and cheese, what can be better? Whether you need a dinner that everyone will love, something fast and easy, or something inexpensive that will feed a crowd, this is the ideal recipe.
What to Serve with American Goulash Recipe
This is a simple dinner that many people serve as a complete meal. A side salad is also a great idea with this meal if you want to add something to it, or make this Cheesy Quick Biscuits Recipe to dip into your pasta. Since this is a very easy recipe, why not consider adding dessert. Here are just a few of my favorite, also very easy, recipes.
- Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake – Moist, delicious lemon blueberry coffee cake is mindblowing good. The aroma of baking the lemon blueberry dessert will make you drool and wish that time could go faster. The tangy flavors of the lemon coffee cake will leave you begging for more.
- No Bake Oreo Pie with Chocolate Ganache Recipe – Thisno-bake oreo pie is out of this world amazing! Decadent, creamy, sweet, and a perfect dessert to end a meal with. You can never go wrong with an oreo pie recipe no bake because you don’t even have to heat the house.
- Black Forest Brownies Recipe – These black forest brownies will knock the socks off of any chocolate lover! Rich and decadent, these delicious cherry brownies from scratch are much easier to make than their delightful flavor would have you assume!
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies – What’s a better dessert – cheesecake or brownies? With these easy Cherry Cheesecake Brownies, you don’t have to choose! Cherry brownies are a tasty twist on a classic brownie.
- Fried Nutella Dumplings – Fried Nutella Dumplings are a Nutella dessert recipe that’s quick, easy and oh-so-good. Made with only 3 ingredients, these dessert dumplings are guaranteed to be a hit!
Variations to Beef Goulash
I love this recipe because it is easy to change. If you wanted to put your own twist on this beef goulash, there are many things that you can do. Some simple ideas to change this recipe is:
- Change the Meat: When making beef goulash, most people use ground beef. But you can change it to ground chicken or turkey.
- Add Sauce: If you want a sauce to go with this recipe, you can add more tomatoes or use a little bit of tomato sauce or paste to the recipe.
- Add Heat: You can add jalapeno peppers or other spicy ingredients to the dish to give it some heat.
- Add Vegetables: I love to sneak veggies into a meal when I can and this is an easy one. You can grate in carrots, zucchini or other veggies into this recipe.
What are the Best Noodles for Goulash
While any noodles can be sued for goulash, when making this type of goulash, typically, elbow macaroni are used. Macaroni are the perfect size, hold up well and a bit of the sauce fills into each noodle. If you don’t have macaroni on hand, you can use any noodle you like.
How to Store Old Fashion Goulash
If you have leftovers of this old fashion goulash recipe, you can store it in the refrigerator. This recipe makes a great lunch or dinner the next day. Put the leftovers in an airtight container. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat Easy Goulash Recipe
When reheating the leftovers of this easy goulash recipe, you can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop. If you find that the recipe is a little dry, you can add more tomatoes, butter or even a bit of olive oil to the noodles.
Ingredients in American Chop Suey Recipe
- ground beef
- olive oil
- green pepper
- garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- Worcestershire sauce
- diced tomatoes
- elbow macaroni
How to Cook Chopsuey
Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare macaroni as directed on the label …watch your timer,.do not over cook, usually 7 minutes, drain. Meanwhile……..
Heat a large fry pan on medium, add olive oil and ground beef, breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks, 2-3 minutes (some pieces should still be pink.) drain off the grease.
Add chopped onions, green pepper and garlic to the meat, stirring every few minutes. Cook 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add oregano, basil, parsley, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Add cooked and drained pasta and gently toss.
Cover and simmer 2-3 more minutes.
Ladle into warm bowls, and enjoy.
Now, time to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped, (white or yellow onion)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare macaroni as directed on the label …watch your timer,.do not over cook, usually 7 minutes, drain. Meanwhile……..
- Heat a large fry pan on medium, add olive oil and ground beef, breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks, 2-3 minutes (some pieces should still be pink.) drain off the grease.
- Add chopped onions, green pepper and garlic to the meat, stirring every few minutes. Cook 5-6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add oregano, basil, parsley, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cooked and drained pasta and gently toss..
- Cover and simmer 2-3 more minutes.
- Ladle into warm bowls, and enjoy.
Make sure you check our best beef recipes:
Easy Baked Corned Beef and Cabbage – If you are looking for the best baked corned beef and cabbage recipe, look no further.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Eggroll Appetizer – My Corned Beef and Cabbage Eggroll Appetizer is great as an appetizer or use it as a dinner too.
Taco Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Meal – Taco Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Meal si the perfect ground beef and cabbage meal.
Easy Beef Stew – This Easy Beef Stew recipe is the ultimate easy comfort food dinner for cold weather.