Do you love Broccoli and Rice Casserole? This is the best Instant Pot Broccoli and Rice Casserole recipe you can find. Easy to make and it tastes amazing, this will be your favorite broccoli and rice side dish.
Instant Pot Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Whenever I eat a broccoli and rice casserole I am reminded of dinners when I was kid. I remember having it as a simple dish growing up. However, many time since I was little, I have noticed that a lot of broccoli and rice casseroles are lacking in flavor and come together kind of mushy. When I wanted to make broccoli and rice at home, I knew I wanted a simple, easy recipe that would still taste amazing. This cheesy broccoli casserole is so good.
What to Serve with Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
This is such an easy side dish and it goes with everything. It doesn’t matter if you are making chicken, steak, pork or even tofu. This side dish is a great compliment. Because this cheesy broccoli casserole comes together so easy, you will have more time to focus on the main part of your meal. Consider these recipe ideas:
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Crock Pot Whole Roasted Chicken with Summer Vegetables
- One Pan/Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops
Variations to Broccoli Rice Casserole
While this is a classic flavor profile, you can find ways to change this broccoli casserole recipe.
- Want to Make it a Main Dish? If you are thinking you want to turn this broccoli rice casserole into the main part of the meal consider adding a protein. Add cooked diced chicken, ham, pork chops, and even steak. Add the cooked meat right into the casserole when you are adding everything into the Instant Pot.
- Brown Rice: You can change the white rice in this recipe to brown rice. It is slightly healthier and since it is in this casserole you will never notice the difference in the flavors. Or should I say the kids will not taste the difference?
- Add more veggies: You can add diced carrots, green beans or cauliflower to this casserole. It is a great way to get more vegetables into a meal.
How to Store Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Once dinner is over and the broccoli cheese casserole has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container. Put the broccoli cheese casserole leftovers in the refrigerator. If you choose to keep the broccoli cheese casserole in the Instant Pot insert, you can wrap it well in plastic wrap. No matter which way you store the broccoli cheese casserole, be sure to have it in the refrigerator.
How Long Does Broccoli and Cheese Casserole Last in the Fridge
When stored properly broccoli and cheese casserole will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you are not going to eat the leftovers within the time before it spoils, consider freezing it right away.
Can Broccoli Cheese Casserole be Frozen
This easy broccoli cheese casserole makes a great freezer meal. Once it is done cooking in the Instant Pot, you can store it in a freezer bag or a freezer safe casserole dish. I prefer to use disposable dishes because then my everyday cooking pans are not out of use. Freezer bags are nice because you can write directly on the bag to know what is in it and when it was made. When you are ready to make the broccoli cheese casserole for dinner, simply take the dish from the freezer, or take the bag out and let it thaw. If you using a dish for the oven, once thawed reheat through. Watch the time so that the rice and broccoli does not over cook. You are only heating it through since this is already cooked. If you used a freezer bag, you will need to put it in a baking dish before heating it.
What Cheese is Best with Broccoli
I have seen many recipes that use different kinds of cheese with broccoli. Some people prefer to use a cheese sauce or condensed cheddar cheese soup. Some like American cheese and others like sharp cheddar cheese. In this broccoli recipe, I like to use cheddar cheese. I use shredded cheddar cheese. I like the consistency it has once it melts through the rice and broccoli and I like that it does not coat every piece so that the taste of the rice and broccoli is still able to come through. If you like a different cheese or you like the way a cheese cause tastes with broccoli, by all means, you can change the cheese.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- salted butter
- white onion
- garlic cloves
- long grain white rice
- chicken broth
- fresh broccoli florets
- cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode and add butter, onion, and garlic to the inner pot, stirring while cooking for 2-3 minutes until slightly tender. Add in rice, chicken broth, and ½ teaspoon salt.
Close the instant pot lid and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow for a quick pressure release.
Stir, and add in broccoli florets. Close the lid and let sit for an additional 20 minutes to steam the broccoli.
After 20 minutes, stir in the cheese and serve.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 2-3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cup long grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode and add butter, onion and garlic to the inner pot, stirring while cooking for 2-3 minutes until slightly tender. Add in rice, chicken broth, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Close the instant pot lid and turn pressure valve to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minute Allow for a quick pressure release.
- Stir, and add in broccoli florets. Close the lid and let sit for an additional 20 minutes to steam the broccoli.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the cheese and serve.
More Pressure Cooker Chicken Recipes:
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings – These succulent Instant Pot garlic parmesan chicken wings are finger-licking good! Juicy, tender garlic parmesan wings are super easy to make too!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is the easiest, most flavorful chicken noodle soup you’ll ever make! With this chicken noodle soup Instant Pot recipe, there’s no need to wait hours for a savory soup.
Instant Pot Mississippi Ranch Chicken – Instant Pot Mississippi Ranch Chicken is tender, juicy and so full of flavor! It’s the best 10-minute dinner you’ll ever make! Mississippi Chicken will win over anyone after one bite.