Do you love french onion soup but think it is too hard to make at home? Wait until you try this easy to make Instant Pot French Onion Soup recipe. Not only is it simple to make at home, but you also don’t need to spend all day in the kitchen to have it. Try it now.
Delicious Easy Instant Pot French Onion Soup at Home
I love french onion soup but I used to only get it when we went out to eat. I would get it every we went out to eat. But there are were times when I was craving french onion soup at home and there was no way to get it. That is when I decided I needed to make it at home. And since my Instant Pot is my best friend in the kitchen, of course, I used the pressure cooker to get long cooked flavor in no time.
What to Serve with French Onion Soup
While I could eat french onion soup all by itself, every day, I know it is not a complete meal. If you want to make this soup with dinner, you can try these recipe ideas.
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak – Get the taste of take-out right in your home with this slow cooker Philly cheesesteak. Who am I kidding, this is way better than take-out any day!
- The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe – This is the best macaroni salad recipe ever! Every bite of this cold pasta salad is perfectly seasoned with dijon mustard and mayonnaise sauce.
- Garlic Herb Potatoes and Steak Skillet – You can’t find a more filling and hearty meal than this skillet garlic butter herb steak and potatoes recipe. Sometimes you just get a craving for some protein, and this dish fits the bill.
- Garlic Butter Meatballs with Lemon Zucchini Noodles Recipe – These are the ultimate garlic butter meatballs with zucchini noodles! With every bite of these low carb meatballs, you will be yearning for the next one!
Want to Make French Onion Soup Bowls
French onion soup is usually made using special crocks. These bowls are the type you would normally get in a restaurant. They are oven and microwave safe bowls. If you want to make bread bowls to serve your french onion soup you can make your own. Making french onion soup bowls is very easy.
- Use a round crusty bread. You want a hearty bread that will stand up to the liquid when you put it in. This type of bread are sometimes called boules.
- Cut off the top of the bread and remove some of the inside breading. Make sure to leave about one inch wall around the side.
- Drizzle the bread with oil and line it with cheese.
- Bake the bread for 3-5 minutes in a 425 degree oven until the cheese is melted.
- Once it is used for a french onion soup bowl.
How to Store Easy French Onion Soup
If you have leftovers of this easy french onion soup, you will want to store it in the refrigerator. You can move the soup to an airtight container or store it in the Instant Pot inner pot. Before moving the soup to the refrigerator be sure to let it cool completely. Once cooled, use the lid to the airtight container or wrap the soup well with plastic. This will keep the easy french onion soup from spoiling faster.
How Long Does Onion Soup Recipe Last
This soup will last for several days in the refrigerator when it is spoiled properly. If you will not finish the soup in 3 to 4 days, think about freezing it. The soup will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are freezing the soup, put it in freezer bags so it lays flat for easier storage. If using airtight container, leave about 1 eat at the top of the bowl to allow for expansion. Do not put the bread and cheese on top of the soup when you are freezing it.
How to Reheat Easy French Onion Soup
When this soup is ready to reheat, you can reheat it in the microwave or in a pot on the stove top. If taking the soup from the freezer, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. This will make it much easier to reheat.
Ingredients in Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Salt and pepper
- fresh thyme
- Beef broth
- Balsamic vinegar
- baguette bread
- gruyere cheese
How to Make Instant Pot French Onion
Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add in the butter until it is melted.
Once heated, add the onions to the melted butter, and toss to coat them well.
Cook the onions down on the saute function for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
Mix in the fresh thyme, balsamic vinegar, and beef broth.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and be sure the release valve is set to the sealing position.
Set the Instant Pot to cook on manual setting for 20 minutes. Once it is finished, allow a slow release for 10 minutes before moving the release valve to the venting position to allow the additional pressure to release.
Set the Instant Pot back to the saute function, and saute for roughly 10 minutes until some of the liquid is cooked down, and the soup begins to thicken.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to the broil setting.
Place 8 slices of baguette bread on a baking sheet, and top with some of the shredded cheese.
Broil the cheese bread until browned.
Top each bowl of french onion soup with a piece of cheese bread, and some of the remaining shredded cheese.
Last step: remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 3 ½ lbs. Thinly sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp. Butter unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 C. Beef broth
- ¼ C. Balsamic vinegar
- 8 Slices of baguette bread
- 2 C. Shredded gruyere cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add in the butter until it is melted.
- Once heated, add the onions to the melted butter, and toss to coat them well.
- Cook the onions down on the saute function for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Mix in the fresh thyme, balsamic vinegar and beef broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and be sure the release valve is set to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on manual setting for 20 minutes. Once it is finished, allow a slow release for 10 minutes before moving the release valve to the venting position to allow the additional pressure to release.
- Set the Instant Pot back to the saute function, and saute for roughly 10 minutes until some of the liquid is cooked down, and the soup begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to the broil setting.
- Place 8 slices of baguette bread on a baking sheet, and top with some of the shredded cheese.
- Broil the cheese bread until browned.
- Top each bowl of french onion soup with a piece of cheese bread, and some of the remaining shredded cheese.
Make sure you check our best instant pot recipes:
Instant Pot Lemon Cheesecake – This delicious Instant Pot Lemon Cheesecake is going to be one of your favorite dessert.
Best Classic Instant Pot Cheesecake Recipe – You won’t find an easier pressure cooker cheesecake recipe than this one either.
Best Instant Pot Cabbage Soup – It’s essentially an unstuffed cabbage roll turned into a soup and made without the hassle of traditional cabbage rolls.
Instant Pot Detox Fat Flush Soup – Enjoy this healthy vegetables soup recipe all year long.