Cherry Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
You are going to want to sink your teeth into these incredible Cherry Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs!
They are one of the best things you will ever have in your mouth. Using a Dr. Pepper marinade gives the ribs an insanely good and deliciously sweet flavor. Serve them for an easy dinner idea or when you want to impress your family or friends.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
Cherry Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs
Finger-licking good ribs are a meal idea that we don’t eat often. We try to make these Cherry Dr. Pepper ribs at least a few times a year. They are seriously irresistible, and I am sort of mad at myself for waiting this long to tell you all about them!
This Dr. Pepper pork rib recipe is a real show-stopper that is wonderful for parties or dinners. We like to serve ours with a helping of KFC Coleslaw, Twice Baked Potato Casserole, and some Fresh Corn Salad. You can serve these Dr. Pepper ribs with other side dishes, too; those are just the ones we choose most often.
How Long Do You Cook the Sauce
You will need to simmer the sauce using very low heat for 1 hour or so. This is an important step that needs to happen to give the ribs the best flavor ever. This gives the marinade time to seep into the rib meat and thicken up too.
Tips For Prepping Ribs
If you haven’t made ribs before, it’s important to know the steps to do before you start cooking. After purchasing the ribs, take them out of the package and place them on a cutting board. Turn them upside down so you can see the membrane. You will need to take a knife to peel under the membrane, then grab ahold of it with your fingers and pull. It may come off in pieces, but you need to remove the entire membrane, or the ribs will be very difficult to eat.
Storing Leftover Ribs
Be sure to let the ribs cool down for a while after they are done cooking. It would be best if you never put them away when they are still warm. After they are cooled, you will need to place them in an airtight food container. Put the ribs in the refrigerator, and they will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until they are hot. Be sure to cover them with a paper towel, so your microwave doesn’t get too messy as they heat.
What to Serve With These Dr. Pepper Ribs
Pretty much anything you enjoy will go well with these Cherry Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs! Here are a few ideas for you to consider trying out:
- Salads – Anything from potato salad to veggie salads are sure to be a hit. The cool salad is a great way to enhance the entire meal.
- Potatoes – Cheesy potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, french fries, or anything else would all be wonderful.
- Beans – We like to serve some baked beans when we make Dr. Pepper ribs because they compliment the flavors. Give it a try!
You will need a handful of ingredients to make these incredible Dr. Pepper pork ribs. I recommend keeping this recipe nearby because everyone will want you to make it over and over again.
- Cherry Dr. Pepper
- Tomato paste
- Light brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Onion Powder
- Black pepper
- Liquid smoke
- Jerk spice
- Chili powder
- Minced garlic
- Baby back ribs
- Chipotle seasoning
- Dr. Pepper Cherry soda
How To Make These Dr. Pepper Ribs
After you remove the membrane from the ribs, you are ready to start making these delicious ribs. Let’s get started so you can learn how to make ribs with Dr. Pepper!
First Step: Using a large saucepan, pour in the Cherry Dr. Pepper, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Ketchup, and each of the seasonings.
Second Step: Combine the ingredients with a whisk until mixed together well. Then begin to boil, then lower the heat to low.
Third Step: Slowly simmer the sauce over VERY low heat for 1 hour or so. Stir the sauce frequently, so it doesn’t burn.
Fourth Step: As the sauce thickens, it will reduce by almost half on its own. Take the sauce off of the heat and allow it to cool down.
Fifth Step: Place the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. You can make it a few days in advance.
Sixth Step: Put the ribs on a 9 x 13 pan that has been lined with foil.
Seventh Step: Add the Chipotle seasoning to the ribs and be sure to cover all the sides of the ribs.
Eighth Step: Next, you will need to pour 1/4 cup of Dr. Pepper Cherry soda on the ribs.
Ninth Step: Add the aluminum foil over the ribs to cover all ends.
Tenth Step: Continue to fold the foil to seal it properly. Allow the ribs to marinate for 2 hours.
Eleventh Step: Then, you will need to use non-stick spray to coat the grill. Heat grill to 325°
Twelfth Step: Put the ribs wrapped in foil on the grill.
Thirteenth Step: Slowly grill for 1 hour.
Fourteenth Step: After one hour, you will need to check the ribs and rotate them and continue cooking for an additional 30 min.
Fifteenth Step: Take the ribs off the grill and coat in the homemade BBQ sauce.
Sixteenth Step: Put the ribs back on the grill and cook for an additional 30 min.
Seventeenth Step: Keep adding BBQ sauce to the ribs as needed to ensure a full coating.
Eighteenth Step: Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Cherry Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs
- 1 1/2 - 12 oz can Cherry Dr. Pepper
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 Cup Light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. grenadine
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. jerk spice
- 1 tsp. All spice
- 1/2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 2 full racks of Baby back ribs
- Chipotle seasoning
- 1/4 cup Dr Pepper Cherry soda
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In a large sauce pan add the Cherry Dr. Pepper, Ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and all seasonings.
- Whisk together. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low
- Simmer over VERY low heat for 1 hour. You will need to stir it often.
- The sauce will thicken and will reduce by almost half on its own. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place the ribs on in a foil-lined 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle with Chipotle seasoning, run into the meat on all sides.
- Now pour 1/4 cup of Dr Pepper Cherry soda on the meat.
- Fold the foil over the ribs to cover all ends.
- Fold the foil to seal. Allow to marinate for 2 hours.
- Coat grill with non-stick spray oil. Heat grill to 325°
- Place ribs wrapped in foil on the grill.
- Slow cook for 1 hour.
- Check meat rotate and cook for an additional 30 min.
- Remove from the grill and coat in BBQ sauce.
- Place back on the grill for an additional 30 min.
- Continue to add BBQ sauce to the ribs as needed to ensure a full coating
- Serve immediately.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
I have even more dinner ideas that I am certain you are going to enjoy. Take a look:
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs – These are so flavorful and has the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
How To Grill Brats in Beer – Say goodbye to boring meals! These grilled beer brats are party food that you need in your life.
Garlic Herb Potatoes and Steak Skillet – This comforting meal is wonderful! It’s easy enough to make on busy nights too.
Seared Ribeye Steak with Red Wine Pan Gravy – Bite into this steak, and you will pretty much moan from excitement. So good!