Chocolate Pie Recipe with Meringue
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Looking for an amazing Chocolate Pie Recipe? Wait until you try this easy Chocolate Pie Recipe with Meringue. It is so good, one bite and you will see.
This is a classic dessert. It is a rich and creamy chocolate custard inside of a pie crust and topped with a light and airy fluffy meringue. This dessert is perfect for an easy weeknight dessert or if you are serving dessert for guests.
Many people have memories of Sunday dinners that were followed by dessert. With a simple dessert like this pie, you can have dessert anytime. You don’t have to wait for Sunday. This dessert is also great for a potluck. It doesn’t matter the reason, this dessert is perfect.
Scroll to bottom for printable recipe card.
What to Serve with Pie
This easy dessert is perfect. When having a great tasting dessert, you need to have an amazing dinner before. Some of my favorite dinner ideas are:
- Cheesy Stuffed Turkey Meatballs with Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Beef Stew
- Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- One Pan/Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Potatoes
Variations to Chocolate Meringue Pie
My favorite thing about any recipe is the ability to change the recipe to create new flavors. With this easy pie, you can
- Add Chocolate chips- Mini chocolate chip will give an extra layer of flavor to this pie.
- Mint: Mint and chocolate are a great combination. You can add mint extract or mint chips. You can even add mint to the meringue to give it a stronger mint flavor.
How to Store Chocolate Meringue Pie
Chocolate meringue pie should be stored in the refrigerator after it has cooled. Let the pie cool at room temperature before refrigerating. This will keep the meringue from wilting and getting soggy.
Can Baked Chocolate Pie Be Frozen
Meringue does not free well. It is best to not freeze the pie. The result is a pie that has a flat “melted” and soggy meringue.
How to Make the Perfect Chocolate Meringue Pie
The key to the perfect chocolate meringue is all about the meringue. You want it to be light and airy and fluffy without weeping or wilting. When it comes to making meringue you want to pick a day that is dry and not humid. Next, make sure to beat the meringue on low speed until all of the sugar is dissolved. If the if still feels grainy the sugar is not dissolved. This can make it weepy too. Another key factor is to not over bake the meringue. It causes the egg whites to shink and this pushes moisture out and makes it weepy.
When you are making chocolate meringue pie, you want to have the meringue made before the filling. While the filling is still hot, you want to put it on the pie. Make sure the meringue goes all the way to the crust. This is because the hot filling will cook the meringue into place and it helps prevent shrinking.
When is the Meringue Ready
When making the meringue for the chocolate meringue pie, the egg whites will have doubled in size while beating. It will start to look shiny. Soft peaks will firm first. These peaks stand up and then the tops will fold over. A stiff peak is when the meringue will pull up and hold into place. You could hold the bowl upside down and the meringue would stay in place. I don’t recommend doing it with the bowl but you can try it with a spoon.
How to Know if You Have beat the Chocolate Pie Meringue too Much
It is possible to overbeat the meringue. This happens after the stiff peak stage. The egg whites will start to break down. It will go back to looking dull, not shiny and grainy.
Ingredients in Chocolate Pie
- deep-dish pie crust
- white sugar
- dark brown sugar
- unflavored gelatin
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dark chocolate squares
- cream of tartar
How to Make Chocolate Pie with Meringue
Combine sugars, cornstarch, gelatin, salt and milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat, constantly whisking to combine. Add in chocolate and allow to come to a boil. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Add vanilla.
Beat egg yolks together and slowly pour one cup of the pudding mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking to prevent eggs from cooking. Pour egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan and mix all together.
Pour into the pre-baked pie crust.
To make the meringue, add egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar and beat all three ingredients together until still and able to form peaks.
Spread meringue over the top of the pie to the edge of the crust, sealing the pie.
Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
Chill prior to serving.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Chocolate Pie Recipe with Meringue
- 1 deep dish pie crust, prebaked
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4- ounce envelope unflavored gelatin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces dark chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 egg whites, 4 of the reserved egg whites plus 2 additional
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Combine sugars, cornstarch, gelatin, salt and milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat, constantly whisking to combine. Add in chocolate and allow to come to a boil. Boil for one minute and remove from heat. Add vanilla.
- Beat egg yolks together and slowly pour one cup of the pudding mixture into the egg yolks while constantly whisking to prevent eggs from cooking. Pour egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan and mix all together. Pour into the pre-baked pie crust.
- To make the meringue, add egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar and beat all three ingredients together until still and able to form peaks.
- Spread meringue over the top of the pie to the edge of the crust, sealing the pie.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Chill prior to serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Best Easy Red Velvet Whoopie Pies – Nurture your sweet tooth with some of these delectable red velvet whoopie pies.
Layered Pumpkin Pie Bars Recipe – With an oatmeal base topped with a pumpkin pie layer, these bars take pumpkin pie to a new level.
Peach Pie Recipe – the flavor is seriously out of this world.
Easy Millionaire Pie Recipe – the best part is that it’s a no-fuss recipe!
Pina Colada Pie Recipe – You can’t go wrong with this coconut and pineapple dessert.